engraving ‘from a picture in his own possession,’ taken later in life, was published by Thomas Collins. Two of his speeches which he delivered in the House of Commons were published separately, viz. his speech on the sugar duties on 10 May 1841, and his speech on moving the resolution for the abolition of the navigation laws on 15 May 1848.
[Spencer Walpole's Hist. of England, vols. iii. and iv.; Sir D. Le Marchant's Memoir of John, third Earl of Spencer, 1876, pp. 52, 229, 232, 343; Lord Beaconsfield's Correspondence with his Sister, 1886, pp. 34–6; Times, 14 and 22 July 1869; Illustrated London News, 24 July 1869; Dod's Peerage, &c., 1869, pp. 589–90; Burke's Extinct Peerage, 1883, p. 309; Foster's Alumni Oxon. 1888, pt. iii. p. 808; Honours Register of the Univ. of Oxford, 1883, p. 206; Lincoln's Inn Registers; London Gazettes; Haydn's Book of Dignities, 1851; Official Return of Lists of Members of Parliament, pt. ii. pp. 285, 301, 320, 332, 344, 356, 369, 386, 404, 420, 436, 452; Notes and Queries, 4th ser. v. 175, 211, 457, 7th ser. x. 168, 215, 393; Brit. Mus. Cat.]
LACEY, WILLIAM (1584–1673), jesuit, whose real name was Wolfe, born at Scarborough in 1584, was son of a tanner and leather dealer. He was sent to Oxford by an uncle, became a student in Magdalen College in 1600, and graduated B.A. on 2 July 1606 (Oxford Univ. Reg., Oxf. Hist. Soc., vol. ii. pt. iii. p. 264). Having become a convert to the Roman catholic religion, he was well received by the jesuits at St. Omer; was admitted an alumnus of the English College at Rome in 1608; and, after receiving minor orders, left for Lorraine 2 Sept. 1611, in order to enter the Society of Jesus in the novitiate at Nancy. After his tertianship at Ghent, and a course of teaching at St. Omer, he was sent to England, and in 1625 was a missioner in the Lancashire district. In 1633 he was in the Oxfordshire district, or St. Mary's ‘residence,’ and two years later in St. George's ‘residence,’ which comprised Worcestershire and Warwickshire. He was professed of the four vows 21 Nov. 1637. In 1649 he was again at St. Mary's, where he remained, as missioner at Oxford, until his death. He died at Oxford on 17 July 1673. He was buried in the parish church of Somerton, Oxfordshire. Wood says ‘he was esteemed by all, especially by those of his own opinion’ (Athenæ Oxon. ed. Bliss, iii. 995).
He was the author of: 1. ‘The Jvdgment of an Vniversity-Man concerning M. William Chillingworth his late Pamphlet, in Answere to Charity Maintayned,’ 4to (anon.), 1639. Probably printed at St. Omer. A reply to Chillingworth's ‘Religion of Protestants’ [see Knott, Edward]. 2. ‘Heavtomachia. M. Chillingworth against himselfe,’ 4to, pp. 46. Printed as an appendix to the preceding work. Wood and Oliver erroneously ascribe to him another attack on Chillingworth, ‘The Totall Svmme,’ 1639, 4to, which was the work of the jesuit Father John Floyd [q. v.]
[Birch's Life of Chillingworth; Dodd's Church Hist. iii. 320; Foley's Records, iv. 598, vi. 251, vii. 856; Oliver's Jesuit Collections, p. 128; Southwell's Bibl. Scriptorum Soc. Jesu, p. 315.]
LACHTAIN (d. 622), Irish saint, whose name also appears in Irish literature as Laichtin (Martyrology of Donegal, p. 80), Lachtnain (Annala Rioghachta Eireann, i. 244), Lachtoc, and Molachtoc (Felire Œngusa, ed. Stokes, pp. 57, 64), belonged to the tribe called Muscraighe, who claimed descent from Conaire Mac Modhlamha, a king of Ireland in the second century. His father's name was Torben, and he was born in Munster. He became a disciple of Comgall [q. v.] of Beannchair and founded two churches, one in Ossory at Achadh-úr, now Freshford, county Kilkenny, the other at Bealach Feabbradh, of which the site is now uncertain. A later church, with an Irish inscription of the eleventh century over the door, represents his earlier edifice at Freshford, and near it is a holy well, called after him Tobar Lachtain. He died in 622. In the museum of the Royal Irish Academy, Dublin, is a silver reliquary, made in the twelfth century, to contain an arm of this saint. His feast is celebrated 19 March.
[Colgan's Acta Sanctorum Hiberniæ; Martyrology of Donegal, Irish Archæological and Celtic Society, 1864; O'Donovan's note in Annala R. E., i. 244–5; Leabhar Breac, facs. fol. 83; Dunraven's Notes on Irish Architecture, 1877, ii. 91; Mo Turas ar Lachtain, 1877.]
LACKINGTON, GEORGE (1768–1844), bookseller, born in 1768, was a ‘third cousin’ of James Lackington [q. v.], and entered the latter's bookselling business in Chiswell Street, London, at the age of thirteen (J. Lackington, Confessions, 1804, p. viii). His father was a prosperous coal merchant, and provided his son with the necessary capital to purchase a share in Lackington, Allen, & Co.'s great shop, known as the ‘Temple of the Muses,’ in Finsbury Square. He became head of the firm in 1798. The first volume of their ‘Catalogue, Michaelmas 1799 to Michaelmas 1800,’ described upwards of two hundred thousand volumes; the second volume, which described upwards of eight hundred thousand volumes, was issued in 1803. Selling cheaply