formed part of the extensive manuscript collections concerning the history of Ireland made by John Lodge [q.v.], deputy-keeper of the rolls in Ireland; these collections had been purchased after Lodge's death in 1774 from his widow by the Irish government, and were deposited in Dublin Castle. After a time Lascelles quarrelled with the commissioners; but having gained the favour of Lord Redesdale, he was authorised by Goulburn, then chief secretary for Ireland, to carry on the work in London, where it was printed, under the immediate authority of the treasury, in two folio volumes dated respectively 1824 and 1830. Its title ran: 'Liber Munerum Publicorum Hiberniæ, ab an. 1152 usque ad 1827; or, the Establishments of Ireland from the nineteenth of King Stephen to the seventh of George IV, during a period of six hundred and seventy-five years.' A history of Ireland, styled 'Res Gestæ Anglorum in Hibernia,' written by Lascelles in a partisan spirit, was prefixed on his own authority, and gave so much offence that, although copies of the book were distributed to public libraries, it was practically suppressed, and Lascelles's employment ceased. Archdeacon Cotton remarks that the work contains 'a great mass of curious information carelessly put together, and disfigured by flippant and impertinent remarks of the compiler, most unbefitting a government employé' (Fasti Ecclesiæ Hibernicæ, 2nd edit. 1851, vol. i. Pref.). A financial dispute between Lascelles and the treasury followed. Lascelles maintained before a select committee of the House of Commons in 1836 that he was entitled to 500l. a year till the completion of the work. He received 200l. in 1832, and 300l. in 1834. Two petitions which he addressed to the House of Commons on the subject led to no result. He died on 19 March 1841.
In 1852 the volumes were issued to the public at the price of two guineas, with an introduction by F. S. Thomas of the Public Record Office, 'showing the origin of the work and the cause of its being published in its present imperfect state.' A partial index to the multifarious contents of the book is printed in the 'Ninth Report of the Deputy-Keeper of the Public Records in Ireland,' Dublin, 1877, pp. 21–58. A full abstract of its contents is given in the 'Gentleman's Magazine' for 1829, pt. ii. p. 253.
Lascelles's other works are: 1. 'A General Outline of the Swiss Landscapes,' copious extracts from which appeared in the 'Gentleman's Magazine' for July, August, and September 1815. 2. 'Letters of Publicola, or a modest Defence of the Established Church,' Dublin, 1816, 8vo; letters originally issued in the 'Patriot' Dublin newspaper, and afterwards reprinted under the title of 'Letters of Yorick, or a Good-humoured Remonstrance in favour of the Established Church,' 3 pts., Dublin, 1817, 8vo. 3. 'The Heraldic Origin of Gothic Architecture. In answer to all foregoing systems on the subject; on occasion of the approaching ceremonial of the Coronation in Westminster Abbey,' 1820, 8vo. A very conceited and bombastic production. 4. 'The University and City of Oxford; displayed in a series of seventy-two Views drawn and engraved by J. and H. S. Storer. Accompanied with a Dialogue after the manner of Castiglione,' London, 1821, 8vo. 5. 'The Ultimate Remedy for Ireland' (anon.), 1831, 8vo; a copy in the British Museum, revised in March 1832, has numerous manuscript additions by the author.
[Gent. Mag. 1841 pt. ii. pp. 323–5, 1854 pt. ii. pp. 263, 457, 1859 pt. i. pp. 33, 606; Thomas's Introd. to Liber Hiberniæ; Ninth Report of the Deputy-Keeper of Public Records in Ireland, pp. 6, 7; Lowndes's Bibl. Man. (Bohn), p. 1314; Notes and Queries, 2nd ser. vi. 350.]
LASCELLES, THOMAS (1670–1751), colonel, chief engineer of Great Britain and deputy quartermaster-general of the forces, was born in 1670. He served as a volunteer in Ireland from 1689 to 1691, and distinguished himself at the battle of the Boyne. He also served in the expedition to Vigo and Cadiz in 1702, as gentleman of H.M. 2nd troop of guards volunteers. He received his first commission in the regular army on 17 March 1704, and proceeded to the Low Countries, where he served throughout Marlborough's campaigns, and was present at nearly all the battles and sieges. In 1705 a sum of 65,000l. was by royal warrant of Queen Anne of 12 March, on an address of the House of Commons, distributed to the army under Marlborough for its gallant services in the preceding year, especially at Blenheim. Lascelles, who was dangerously wounded at Blenheim, received 33l. as his share.
On the declaration of the peace of Utrecht, Lascelles and Colonel John Armstrong were appointed, under the treaty, to superintend the demolition of the fortifications, &c., of Dunkirk. The fortress had been surrendered by the French as a pledge of good faith for the execution of the treaty, and by its conditions the fortifications and harbour works were to be razed. Lascelles was employed on this duty until 1716, and, on an application to the king, Armstrong and he were granted pay at 20s. a day, double the ordinary allowance. The board of ordnance informed Mr. Secretary Bromley that 'Colonel