14 July 1812, captain (army 5 Feb. 1822) 30 Jan. 1824, major 30 April 1835, lieutenant-colonel 26 Dec. 1841, colonel 25 May 1852. He became major-general in 1854, lieutenant-general in 1866, general in 1870. He shared the Deccan prize as lieutenant 1st Bengal native infantry for ‘general captures.’ He sought permission in 1824 to change his name to Mattenby, but the request was refused as beyond the competence of the Indian government. He served with the 2nd native grenadier battalion in Arracan in 1825, was timber agent at Naulpore in 1828, and was in charge of the commissariat at Dinapore in 1832. As major he commanded his regiment in Afghanistan under Sir William Nott in 1842, and commanded the garrison of Candahar when, during the temporary absence of Nott, the place was assaulted on 10 March 1842 by an Afghan detachment, which was repulsed with heavy loss (see London Gazette, 6 Sept. 1842). Lane received the medal for Candahar and Cabul, and was made C.B. 27 Dec. 1842. He died in Jersey 18 Feb. 1872, aged 85.
[Indian Army Lists; information obtained from the India office.]
LANE, EDWARD (1605–1685), theological writer, born in 1605, was elected a scholar at St. Paul’s School, where he was among the pupils of Alexander Gill the elder [q. v.], and was admitted on 4 July 1622 at St. John's College, Cambridge, graduating B.A. 1625–6, M.A. 1629. In 1631 he was presented (admitted 24 March) to the vicarage of North Shoebury, Essex, by the crown, through the lord keeper, Thomas Coventry [q. v.]; he resigned on 28 Jan. 1636, being presented by the same patron to the vicarage of Sparsholt, Hampshire. He was also rector of Lainston, Hampshire, a parish adjoining, probably from 1637. On 9 July 1639 he was incorporated M.A. at Oxford. In 1644, being a ‘time of warre,’ Lane was absent from Sparsholt. He was recommended by the assembly of divines to fill the sequestrated benefice of Sholden, Kent, 27 Feb. 1644–5 (Addit. MS. 15669, p. 39b). His incumbency at Sparsholt lasted fifty years. He collected, and transcribed the registers from 1607, and seems to have been an exemplary parish clergyman. He died on 2 Sept. 1685 in his eighty-first year, and was buried on 4 Sept. in the chancel of Sparsholt Church. His wife Mary was buried on 27 Oct. 1669. His children, none of whom survived him, included Edward, buried 17 May 1660, who had been in Ireland, and Henry, baptised 11 April 1639, probationer scholar of New College, Oxford, buried 6 Oct. 1659.
- ‘Look unto Jesus,’ &c., 1663, 4to (British Museum copy has author's corrections, and a manuscript presentation, with pretty verses, to Anne and Catherine Chettle).
- ‘Mercy Triumphant,’ &c. 1680, 4to (against Lewis du Moulin [q. v.], who held that ‘probably not one in a million’ of the human race would be saved); 2nd edition, with title ‘Du Moulin’s Reflections Reverberated,’ &c., 1681, 8vo, has appended ‘Answer’ to the ‘Naked Truth. The Second Part Part,’ by Edmund Hickeringill [q. v.] (Wood). Bound with the British Museum copy (696, f. 13) of No. 1 is a autograph manuscript, pp. 229, ready for press, and included in the gift to the Misses Chettle, its title being ‘A Taste of the Euerlasting ffeast … in Heauen At the Marriage-Supper of the Lambe … by E.L.,’ &c.
From 1638 to 1641 he wrote his surname ‘LLane.’ Lane left in manuscript a ‘Discourse of the Waters of Noah,’ in reply to Thomas Burnett’s Theory of the Earth’ (Notes and Queries, 5th ser. x. 181, 273). ‘An Image of our Reforming Times,’ &c., 1654, 4to, is by Colonel Edward Lane, ‘of Ham-pinnulo,’ a Fifth monarchy man.
[Wood’s Fasti (Bliss), i. 510 sq., ii. 127; Gardiner’s Register of St. Paul’s School, 1884. p. 34; information from the Rev. Evelyn D. Heathcote, vicar of Sparsholt.]
LANE, EDWARD WILLIAM (1801–1876), Arabic scholar, was born 17 Sept. 1801 at Hereford, where his father, Theophilus Lane, D.C.L., of Balliol College and Magdalen Hall, Oxford, was prebendary of Withington Parva. Four of his direct ancestors had been mayors of Hereford since 1621. His mother was Sophia Gardiner, niece of the painter Gainsborough, a woman of unusual intellect and character. He was educated, after his father’s death in 1814, at the grammar schools of Bath and Hereford, where he showed a bent for mathematics, which led him to contemplate a Cambridge degree with a view to taking orders. The plan was abandoned, however, and he went to London to learn engraving under Charles Heath, to whom his elder brother Richard James [q. v.] was articled. He possessed much the same delicacy of touch as his brother, but his health was unequal to the trials of a confined occupation and the London climate, and after publishing a solitary print a prolonged illness compelled him to seek a warmer latitude. To this happy disability he owed the development of his special genius. As early as 1822 he had evinced a marked passion for eastern studies, and it was to Egypt that he now turned. An additional inducement was the hope of a consulship. Accordingly, in July 1825, Lane set sail for Alexandria, and after an adventurous voyage of two months, during which his theoretical knowledge of naviga-