only three men wounded. The squadron afterwards went on the coast of Egypt, and was left by Duckworth under the command of Louis. But Louis died on board the Canopus on 17 May 1807.
Louis married in 1784 Jacquetta, daughter of Samuel Belfield; she died in 1824, having issue three daughters and four sons, the eldest of whom, Sir John Louis, the second baronet, died an admiral in 1863. The second son, Matthew, was a colonel in the royal artillery. In the earlier navy lists, in which Louis's name appears as a lieutenant, it is spelt Lewis; but whether he himself so wrote it is doubtful. As a captain he certainly wrote it Louis. A miniature, belonging to the family, was lent to the Naval Exhibition of 1891.
[Naval Chron. (with an engraved portrait), xvi. 177; Georgian Era, ii. 524; Nicolas's Despatches and Letters of Lord Nelson, freq. (see Index at the end of vol. vii.); James's Naval Hist. (edit. of 1860).]
LOUND, THOMAS (1802–1861), amateur painter, born in 1802, was a member of a large firm of brewers at Norwich. He was, however, devoted to art, and spending his spare time in landscape-painting, attained great excellence in that art. He is said to have had lessons from John Sell Cotman [q. v.], and his works show a careful study of those by John Crome and David Cox the elder. He especially excelled in river-views, though he did some good architectural drawings. Many of his best pictures are of scenery near Cromer. He also painted much of the scenery in Wales and Yorkshire during his summer vacations. His application to his business caused him to be little known outside Norwich, though he was an occasional exhibitor at the Royal Academy and British Institution in London. In Norwich, where he was a prolific exhibitor, his works were much appreciated. A water-colour drawing by him of Framlingham Castle is in the South Kensington Museum. Lound died of apoplexy at his residence in King Street, Norwich, on 18 Jan. 1861.
[Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Norwich Mercury, 23 Jan. 1861; Gent. Mag. 1861, pt. i. p. 468.]
LOUNDRES, HENRY de (d. 1228), archbishop of Dublin, was archdeacon of Stafford in the early part of the reign of John, and was frequently employed by that king in public affairs. Towards the close of 1212 the archbishopric of Dublin was conferred on him. In May 1213 he was an attesting witness to the execution of the instrument of fealty from King John to the pope, and in the following July he received the appointment of justiciary or viceroy of Ireland. He was at Runnymede in June 1215, at the delivery of ‘Magna Charta,’ in the preamble to which his name stands second among those of the councillors at whose instance that charter was granted. In 1216 he acted as one of the delegates from John to Pope Honorius III, by whom in the succeeding year he was appointed legate to Ireland. Archbishop Henry entered again on the office of justiciary in Ireland in 1219, and evinced much energy in connection with both ecclesiastical and civil affairs there. A series of regulations for ecclesiastics of the diocese of Dublin was promulgated by him. He also remodelled the constitution and amplified the resources of the cathedral of St. Patrick, Dublin, and his arrangements were ratified by a papal bull. His legatine powers terminated in 1220, but he continued to act as justiciary till 1224, when the office was transferred by the king to William Marshall (d. 1231) [q. v.], earl of Pembroke.
Archbishop Henry was present in 1225 at the opening service of a new cathedral at Salisbury, on the constitution of which he had modelled his arrangements for St. Patrick's, Dublin. As prelate or justiciary Archbishop Henry was occasionally embarrassed in vindicating the rights and properties of the crown or of his see against the claims of the citizens of Dublin (cf. Gilbert, History of the Viceroys of Ireland, and Facsimiles of National MSS. of Ireland). The name of ‘Scorchvillein,’ applied to the archbishop, was said to have originated in a dispute with some of the tenants of his see, whose leases he attempted to burn. He died in 1228, and was interred in the cathedral of Christ Church, Dublin, under a wooden monument, which disappeared before the seventeenth century.
Several ecclesiastical instruments executed by him are in the ‘Chartularies of St. Mary's Abbey, Dublin,’ and the ‘Register of the Abbey of St. Thomas, Dublin,’ printed in Rolls Series, 1884–9. An ancient drawing in colours of Loundres is reproduced in ‘Facsimiles of National MSS. of Ireland,’ pt. iv. 2.
[Crede Mihi, MS.; Archives of See of Dublin; Ware de Præsulibus Hiberniæ, 1665; Mason's Hist. of St. Patrick's Cathedral, 1826; Rot. Litt. Claus.; Patent. et Chart. 1833, 5, 7; Theiner's Vet. Monum. 1864; Gilbert's Hist. Viceroys Ireland, 1865; Hist. and Municip. Documents, Ireland, 1870; Hist. MSS. Comm. 10th Rep. App. v.]
LOUTH, Earl of (d. 1328), [See Bermingham, Sir John.]