and was a frequent exhibitor of landscapes up to 1877.
[Bryan's Dict. of Painters and Engravers (Armstrong); Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Graves's Dict. of Artists, 1760–1880; Athenæum, 1873, i. 702; Rawlinson's Turner's Liber Studiorum, 1878; Universal Cat. of Books on Art; Penny Cyclop. xxiii. 6; Clerkenwell par. reg.; information from the family.]
LUPTON, WILLIAM (1676–1726), divine, born at Bentham, Yorkshire, on 1 June 1676, was son of Thomas Lupton, rector there. He matriculated at Queen's College, Oxford, on 30 March 1694, and graduated B.A. 1697, M.A. 1700, B.D. 1708–9, and D.D. 1711–12. He was elected fellow of Lincoln College in 1698, and for a short time was curate at Avening, Gloucestershire, to George Bull [q. v.], afterwards bishop of St. David's, through whose influence, in all probability, he became rector of Richmond, Yorkshire, in 1705. Resigning Richmond the next year, he was appointed lecturer of St. Dunstan's-in-the-West, London, and in 1714 preacher of Lincoln's Inn, and afternoon preacher at the Temple. On 13 Sept. 1715 he was presented to the ninth prebendal stall in Durham Cathedral. He died at Tunbridge Wells, Kent, on 13 Dec. 1726, and was buried there. A portrait, engraved by Vertue, is prefixed to the edition of twelve of his sermons published in 1729. Lupton was a good preacher, and printed a number of single sermons. He was notable for his championship of the doctrine of eternal punishment. Tillotson preached a sermon on this subject before the queen on 7 March 1689–90, and was said, though wrongly, to have explained away the old doctrine, for, the nonjurors hinted, the comfort of Queen Anne. Lupton upheld the orthodox view, in a sermon preached before the university of Oxford on 24 Nov. 1706 (published at London in 1708). Hickes, Kettlewell, Whiston, and others took part in the controversy (cf. Tobias Swinden's Enquiry into the Nature and Place of Hell, 1714, 1727, Supplement).
[Noble's Contin. of Granger's Biog. Hist. iii. 109; Foster's Alumni Oxon. 1500–1714; Birch's Life of Tillotson, pp. 217–19; Nelson's Life of Bull; Hist. Reg. vol. xi. 13 Dec.; Le Neve's Fasti Eccles. Angl. iii. 317.]
LUPUS, HUGH, Earl of Chester (d. 1101). [See Hugh of Avranches.]
LUSCOMBE, MICHAEL HENRY THORNHILL (1776–1846), bishop, born in 1776, was son of Samuel Luscombe, physician at Exeter, his mother being a collateral descendant of Sir James Thornhill [q. v.] He was educated at Exeter grammar school and at Catharine Hall, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A. 1798 and M.A. 1805. He was curate at Clewer, Windsor, and from 1806 to 1819 was master of the East India Company's school at Hertford, holding also the curacy of St. Andrew's in that town. Walter Farquhar Hook [q. v.] was one of his pupils at Hertford, and became an intimate friend. On 20 Jan. 1810 he was incorporated M.A. of Oxford, joining Exeter College, and proceeding B.C.L. 1 Feb. 1810, and D.C.L. two days later. In 1819 he removed to Caen, and subsequently to Paris. In 1824 Canning determined to appoint Luscombe embassy chaplain at Paris, and general superintendent at the same time of the scattered English congregations on the continent. But he soon afterwards assented to a proposal made originally by Luscombe's old pupil Hook, that the bishops of the Scottish episcopal church should consecrate Luscombe to a continental bishopric, and accordingly on 20 March 1825 Luscombe was consecrated at Stirling. In the course of the same year he assumed the office of chaplain at Paris. This post he retained till his death, and in lieu of the room at the embassy or the French protestant Oratoire in which the services had been held, he erected in 1834, in great part at his own cost, a church in the Rue d'Aguesseau (Moniteur, 29 April 1834). He officiated at Thackeray's marriage in Paris in 1836 (Athenæum, 18 Oct. 1890).
Luscombe held high church principles. He was one of the founders in 1841 of the ‘Christian Remembrancer.’ He died suddenly of heart disease at Lausanne, 24 Aug. 1846, and was buried at La Sallaz cemetery. He married the daughter of Henry Harmood, commissioner of the navy, by whom he had a son (who predeceased him) and two daughters. He left a bequest for divinity scholarships at Glenalmond College, Perthshire (Gent. Mag. 1847, i. 66).
He published: 1. ‘Sermon on Adultery,’ Lond. 1801. 2. ‘Sermons from the French’ (translations), 1825. 3. ‘The Church of Rome compared with the Bible, the Fathers of the Church, and the Church of England,’ 1839. This was translated into French, in which language also a reply appeared in 1842 by A. Zeloni. 4. ‘Pleasures of Society,’ a poem (anon.)
[Gent. Mag. 1846, ii. 440; Galignani's Messenger, 1 Sept. 1846; Lausanne registers; Foster's Alumni Oxon.; Stephens's Life of Dean Hook, 1878.]
LUSH, Sir ROBERT (1807–1881), lord justice, eldest son of Robert Lush of Shaftesbury, Dorset, by his wife Lucy, daughter