(false doctrine) on 2 Nov. 1861, and in the case of the Bishop of Salisbury v. Williams (‘Essays and Reviews’) on 25 June 1862, while he formed one of the judicial committee of the privy council on the hearing of the appeals in Gorham v. Bishop of Exeter (doctrine of baptismal regeneration), Long v. Bishop of Capetown (church discipline in the colonies), and the case of Bishop Colenso (jurisdiction of colonial metropolitans). His judgments will be found in Haggard (‘Ecclesiastical Reports’), Carter's ‘Notes of Cases in the Ecclesiastical and Maritime Courts,’ Robertson, Spinks (ecclesiastical and admiralty), Deane, William Robinson, Spinks (prize cases), Swabey, Lushington, Browning and Lushington, ‘Law Reports, Admiralty and Ecclesiastical Cases,’ vol. i., the ‘Law Times Reports,’ and Moore's ‘Privy Council Cases.’ A few of his speeches and judgments have been published separately.
With Brougham he was one of the founders of the Society for Diffusion of Useful Knowledge in April 1825. He was elected a bencher of the Inner Temple in 1840, and acted as treasurer of his inn in 1851. He served on a great number of royal commissions, and was for many years chancellor of the diocese of Rochester, official to the archdeacon, and commissary of Westminster, Essex, and Hertfordshire, and of the deaneries of Essex and Barking.
Lushington married, on 8 Aug. 1821, Sarah Grace, daughter of Thomas William Carr of Frognal, Hampstead, Middlesex. Of five sons and five daughters, his fourth son, Vernon Lushington, Q.C., was (1877–1900) county court judge for Surrey and Berkshire, while a twin brother, Sir Godfrey Lushington (1832–1907), was permanent under-secretary for the home department. Lushington's wife died on 20 Sept. 1837, and was buried in Bushey Church, Hertfordshire. His portrait, painted by W. Holman Hunt in 1862, is in the possession of Judge Lushington. There are engravings of Lushington by Walker (1834) after Newton, and by Holl after Wivell.
Lushington's younger brother, Charles Lushington (1785–1866), entered the civil service of the East India Company in 1800, and served in Bengal till 1827. Returning to England, he was M.P. for Ashburton in the liberal interest from 1833 to 1841, and for Westminster from 1847 to 1852. He resided for many years at Edgware, but died at Brighton 23 Sept. 1866. He published a ‘History of Calcutta's Religious Institutions,’ Calcutta, 1824; ‘Remonstrance addressed to the Bishop of London in behalf of the Dissenters,’ 1838; and ‘Dilemmas of a Churchman,’ 1838. His first wife Sarah, daughter of Colonel Joseph Gascoyne, whom he married in 1805, was author of ‘A Journey from Calcutta to Europe in 1827–8,’ London, 8vo, and died in 1839; his second wife Julia Jane, widow of Thomas Teed of Stanmore, died in February 1866.
[Times, 21 and 22 Jan. 1873; Law Times, 13 July 1867 and 25 Jan. 1873; Illustrated London News, 1 Feb. 1873 (with portrait); Charles Buxton's Memoirs of Sir Thomas Fowell Buxton, 1850; Ann. Reg. 1873, pt. ii. pp. 123–4; Gent. Mag. 1821, pt. ii. pp. 176, 177–9, 269; Georgian Era, 1833, ii. 359–60; Random Recollections of the House of Commons, 1836, pp. 255–7; Temple Bar, xxvi. 364–93; Cussans's Hist. of Hertfordshire. Hundred of Edwinstree, 1872, pp. 94–6; Hundred of Dacorum, 1879, p. 227; Whishaw's Synopsis of the Members of the English Bar, 1835, pp. 88–9; Masters of the Bench of the Inner Temple, 1883, p. 104; Foster's Alumni Oxon. 1715–1886, iii. 883; Stapylton's Eton School Lists, 1864, p. 8; Dod's Peerage, &c., 1873, pp. 433–4; Burke's Peerage, &c., 1890, p. 886; Lists of Members of Parliament; Admissions to Lincoln's Inn.]
LUSHINGTON, Sir STEPHEN (1803–1877), admiral, second son of Sir Henry Lushington, bart., by his wife, Fanny Maria, eldest daughter of Matthew Lewis, under-secretary at war, was born on 12 Dec. 1803. Dr. Stephen Lushington (1782–1873) [q. v.] was his uncle. He entered the navy in 1816 on board the Tagus frigate, with Captain (afterwards Sir) James Whitley Deans Dundas [q. v.], in the Mediterranean. From 1817 to 1821 he was with the Hon. Robert Cavendish Spencer [q. v.] in the Ganymede and Owen Glendower on the Mediterranean and South American stations. He was afterwards in the Hind, also in the Mediterranean, with the Hon. Henry John Rous [q. v.], and in her boats was actively employed in the suppression of piracy in the Archipelago till promoted to be lieutenant on 13 July 1824. In 1825 he was lieutenant of the Zebra sloop, and in 1826–7 of the Cambrian frigate, in which he was present at the battle of Navarino on 20 Oct. 1827. Three days later he was moved by Sir Edward Codrington [q. v.] into his flagship, the Asia, from which, on 13 May 1828, he was promoted to command the Ætna bomb. In her he had a distinguished part in the reduction of Kastro Morea on 30 Oct. 1828, for which he was especially complimented by the French admiral in command, and was nominated a chevalier of the orders of St. Louis and the Redeemer of Greece. On 28 Oct. 1829 he was posted, but had no employment till 19 Jan. 1839, when he was appointed to the Cleo-