Wood. In 1669 (30 March) he was appointed engraver to the university of Oxford, with an annual salary of 20s. In or about 1671 he married a daughter of Robert Jordan, esq., of Kencote Hall in Oxfordshire, by whom he had at least one son, John Loggan, who matriculated at Trinity College on 20 Aug. 1688, being then sixteen years old. He is described as ‘son of David Loggan of Oxford, gentleman (generosus).’ William Loggan of Oxford, who about 1681 published a satirical print on Father Peters and the jesuits (Brit. Mus. Cat. Satires, i. 686), was probably another son. By this time Loggan was residing in Holywell. In the following year (1672) he subscribed the articles of religion, and matriculated, probably for the purpose of securing the privileges of membership of the university. In 1675 he was naturalised as an Englishman.
The illustrated book, usually referred to as Loggan's first work, appeared in 1674. It is entitled ‘Reverendis … Doctoribus Academiæ Oxoniensis hæc omnium Ordinium [sic] Habituumque Academicorum exemplaria … D.D. Georgius Edwards, 1674.’ There are twelve plates: 1. title; 2. Academiæ Procancellarius cum sex Bedellis et virgifero præeuntibus (a folding plate occupying the space of two); 3. Ss. Theologiæ Doctor ea toga coccinea indutus qua solemniorum in Academiâ conventuum celebritatem cohonestare soleat; 4. Ss. Theologiæ Doctor eo Habitu coccineo quo tempore minus solenni indutus apparet; 5. Doctor in Medicina Toga ordinaria indutus cui per omnia conformis est ea qua utuntur Doctores in Iure Ciuili; 6. Procurator; 7. Artium Magister; 8. Commensalis superioris ordinis; 9. Artium Baccalaureus; 10. Commensalis inferioris ordinis; 11. Juris-Prudentiæ studiosus nongraduatus; 12. Serviens. No engraver's name appears on any of the plates, and they are ascribed to Loggan on the evidence of style only. If this ascription be correct, it is remarkable that Wood, whose diaries contain many references to Loggan, should never mention them. A set (wanting the title) is in the print room at the British Museum.
In 1675 Loggan published: ‘Oxonia Illustrata, sive omnium celeberrimæ istius Universitatis Collegiorum, Aularum, Bibliothecæ Bodleianæ, Scholarum Publicarum, Theatri Sheldoniani: nec non Urbis totius Scenographia. Delineavit et sculpsit Dav: Loggan Univ. Oxon. Chalcographus. Oxoniæ, e Theatro Sheldoniano Ano Dni mdclxxv.’ Wood records that this book was ‘not printed in the Theater, but in his [Loggan's] own house in Halywell.’ It contains forty plates, each extending over two folio pages; viz. two general views of Oxford (occupying a single plate), a plan of the city, a plate of academical costumes, and thirty-seven views of colleges, halls, and public buildings. The extraordinary amount of accurate detail in these views implies an equally extraordinary expenditure of time in preparing for their publication, and in his preface (in Latin) he expressly says that the work had been ‘long expected, and begun several years before.’ That such was the case may be proved from other sources. In 1665 (14 Oct.) Wood notes: ‘Lent the old map of Oxon [‘prob. Agas’] to Mr. David Loggan;’ and in 1669 (4 May), describing the reception of the Duke of Tuscany, ‘likewise D. Logan, the Univ. sculptor, presented him with the king's picture in white satten of his owne draught, and with the sight of his cuts of the colleges.’ The same authority tells us that ‘this map or platforme of the University and Citie of Oxon was mostly drawne by the hand, with a pencill, of David Loggan … anno 1673.’
The ‘Oxonia Illustrata’ was evidently intended as a companion to Wood's ‘History and Antiquities of the University of Oxford,’ published in 1674, for the table of contents gives, opposite to each plate, a reference to the page of that work where the history of the building represented is to be found; and the two books were given together by the university to distinguished visitors, e.g. 1 June 1675, to the Prince of Neuburg, of whom Wood notes that he ‘had presented to him in two volumes the History and Antiquities of the University of Oxon, penned by Mr. Anthony à Wood, with the cuts.’
Soon after the publication of the ‘Oxonia Illustrata’ Loggan turned his attention to Cambridge, where he printed in 1676 Wren's design for the library of Trinity College, probably with the view of obtaining subscriptions. The library accounts for 1676 set down: ‘To David Loggan for ye plates, cutting and 450 Cutts … 21l. 12s.;’ and an entry in 1690–1 ‘for mending … the chamber where Mr. Loggan's Press stood formerly,’ shows that he had been provided with a workroom in Trinity College. In 1676, however, he resided in London, where he had a house in Leicester Fields (Walpole, ed. Dallaway, v. 184), and, according to his own statement in the preface to his ‘Cantabrigia Illustrata,’ he only visited Cambridge from time to time.
His next work is entitled ‘Cantabrigia Illustrata, sive omnium Celeberrimæ istius Universitatis Collegiorum, Aularum, Bibliothecæ Academicæ, Scholarum Publicarum, Sacelli Coll: Regalis, nec non Totius Oppidi