Leonard McNally [q. v.] On his retirement from the bench in 1831, he was created Viscount Guillamore of Cahir Guillamore and Baron O'Grady of Rockbarton, co. Limerick, in the peerage of Ireland. He was a handsome man, of a fine presence, and over six feet in stature. He died in Dublin on 20 April 1840. In 1790 he married Katharine (d. 1853), second daughter of John Thomas Waller of Castletown, co. Limerick, by whom he had several children.
Standish O'Grady, second Viscount Guillamore (1792-1848), eldest son of the above, born in 1792, was a lieutenant in the 7th hussars at Waterloo, and afterwards became lieutenant-colonel. On 17 June 1815 he had command of the troop of the 7th hussars on the high road from Genappe to Quatre Bras. The regiment was covering the British march from Quatre Bras to Waterloo, and Sir William Dörnberg left O'Grady outside the town, on the Quatre Bras road, to hold in check the advancing French cavalry while the main body of the regiment was proceeding in file across the narrow bridge of Genappe and up the steep street of the town. O'Grady advanced at the head of his troops as soon as the French appeared, and presented so bold a front that, after a time, they retired. When they were out of sight he crossed the bridge at the entrance of Genappe, and took his troop at a gallop through the town, rejoining Sir William Dörnberg, who had drawn up the main body of the regiment on the sloping road at the Waterloo end of Genappe. A severe cavalry combat ensued when the French lancers reached the top of the town, in which O'Grady's regiment made a gallant charge, with considerable loss. At Waterloo he was stationed on the ground above Hougoumont on the British left. 'The 7th,' he says in a letter to his father, 'had an opportunity of showing what they could do if they got fair play. We charged twelve or fourteen times, and once cut off a squadron of cuirassiers, every man of whom we killed on the spot except the two officers and one Marshal de Logis, whom I sent to the rear' (letter in possession of the Hon. Mrs. Norbury). Two letters of his to Captain William Siborne, describing the movements of his regiments on 17 and 18 June 1815, are printed in 'Waterloo Letters,' edited by Major-general H. T. Siborne (London, 1891, pp. 130-6). By his wife Gertrude Jane (d. 1871), daughter of the Hon. Berkeley Paget, he had issue Standish, third viscount (1832-1860); Paget Standish, fourth viscount (1838-1877); Hardress Standish, fifth and present viscount; and others. The second viscount died on 22 July 1848.
[O'Keefe's Life and Times of O'Connell, i. 183; Barrington's Personal Sketches; Smyth's Law Officers of Ireland, 1839, pp. 145,170; O'Flanagan's Munster Circuit, 1880, pp. 232-7; Foster's Peerage, p. 318; Wills's Irish Nation, iii. 692-3; O'Flanagan's Irish Bar, 1879, pp. 190-4.]
OGSTON, FRANCIS (1803–1887), professor of medical jurisprudence at Aberdeen, born in Aberdeen in July 1803, was third son of Alexander Ogston, the founder of an extensive soap manufactory at Aberdeen. He was educated at the grammar school and at Marischal College, Aberdeen, completing his medical course at Edinburgh University, where he graduated M.D. in 1824. Subsequently he travelled and studied on the continent. Having settled at Aberdeen, he soon acquired a large practice. In 1827 he began to teach chemistry privately, and in 1839 he was appointed lecturer on medical jurisprudence at Marischal College. When the lectureship was converted into a professorial chair in 1857, Ogston became the first professor, teaching medical logic in addition to his special subject. In 1860, when Marischal College was united to King's College, to form the university of Aberdeen, under the Universities (Scotland) Act, 1858, Ogston's appointment was maintained, and he continued to occupy the chair of medical jurisprudence till his retirement in 1883. His lectures were published in London in 1878, under the title 'Lectures on Medical Jurisprudence,' and were accepted both in this country and in Germany as a standard work. From 1831 Ogston held the appointment of police-surgeon in Aberdeen, and he was also medical officer of health for the city from 1862 till 1881. He had frequently to give evidence on important cases in the justiciary courts, and the lucidity of his reports called forth the commendations of the judges. He was chosen dean of the faculty of medicine in Aberdeen, and was twice representative of the senatus at the university court. In 1883 he retired from the chair of medical jurisprudence. Two years afterwards the university conferred the honorary degree of LL.D. upon him. He died suddenly at Aberdeen on 25 Sept. 1887. Both of his sons followed the medical profession; the elder, Dr. Alexander Ogston, being professor of surgery at Aberdeen University, and the younger, Dr. Frank Ogston, holding an appointment as professor of public health and medical jurisprudence at the university of Otago, New Zealand. Besides the lectures referred to, Ogston contributed many papers to the British and continental medical journals.