10,000l. damages. Papillon fled the country to escape payment. Pritchard declared his willingness to release him from the effects of the judgment, with the king's assent ; his was long refused by James II, but was ultimately granted in 1688, when, on Aug. 7, Sir William gave a full release to Papillon at Garraway's coffee-house, drinking his former foe's health (Papillon, Memoirs).
Meanwhile, Pritchard had lost favour at court. In August 1687 he, with other aldermen, was displaced 'for opposing the address of liberty of conscience' (Luttrell). He appears to have been restored later; but in October 1688, when he had refused to act as intermediary mayor, he again laid down his gown (ib.) On 15 May 1685 and in March 1690 he was returned as one of the city's representatives in parliament. After the Revolution Pritchard continued active as tory and churchman. In June 1690 he made an unsuccessful attempt to keep the whig Sir John Pilkington [q. v.] out of the mayoralty; and in October 1698 and Jan. 1701 he was an unsuccessful parliamentary candidate for the city; but he was returned at the head of the poll on 18 Aug. 1702.
He died at his city residence in Heydon Yard, Minories, on 20 Feb. 1704–5. His body was conveyed 'in great state' from his house at Highgate to Great Lynford in Buckinghamshire, where it was buried on 1 March in a vault under the north aisle. An inscription on a marble slab records that Pritchard was president of St. Bartholomew's Hospital, and that he erected there 'a convenient apartment for cutting the stone.' In Great Lynford itself, the manor of which he had acquired in 1683 from Richard Napier [q. v.], Pritchard founded and endowed an almshouse and school-buildings, and his widow augmented his benefaction. By his wife, Sarah Coke of Kingsthorp, Northamptonshire, he had three sons and a daughter. She also was buried at Great Lynford on 6 May 1718. In accordance with Pritchard's will, the Buckinghamshire estates passed to Richard Uthwart and Daniel King, his nephews.
Pritchard's portrait is at Merchant Taylors' Hall.
[Le Neve's Pedigrees of Knights (Harl. Soc); Luttrell's Brief Relation, passim; Howell's State Trials, x. 319–72; Orridge's Citizens of London and their Rulers, pp. 238-9 ; Ret. Memb. Parl.; Poems, Songs, &c., 1682; Lipscomb's Hist. of Buckinghamshire, iv. 222, 227; Memoirs of Thomas Papillon, ed. A. F. Papillon, chap, xi.]
PRITCHETT, JAMES PIGOTT (1789–1868), architect, born at St. Petrox, Pembrokeshire, on 14 Oct. 1789, and baptised there on 4 Jan. 1790, was fourth son of Charles Pigott Pritchett, fellow of King's College, Cambridge, rector of St. Petrox and Stackpole Elidor, Pembrokeshire, prebendary of St. David's, and domestic chaplain to the Earl of Cawdor, by Anne, daughter of Roger Rogers of Westerton-in-Ludchurch, Pembrokeshire; Delabere Pritchett, sub-chanter of St. David's Cathedral, was his grandfather. Pritchett, adopting the profession of an architect, was articled to Mr. Medland in Southwark, and afterwards worked for two years in the office of Daniel Asher Alexander [q. v.], architect of the London Dock Company. After spending a short time in the barrack office under the government, Pritchett set up for himself in London in 1812, but in 1813 removed to York, entering into partnership with Mr. Watson of that city. For the remainder of his life Pritchett resided in York, he and Watson having a very extensive practice, amounting almost to a monopoly, of architectural work in Yorkshire. At York itself he built the deanery, St. Peter's School (now the school of art), the Savings Bank, Lady Hewley's Hospital, Lendal and Salem Chapels, &c. Elsewhere he built the asylum at Wakefield, the court-house and gaol at Beverley, and acted as surveyor and architect on the extensive estates of three successive Earls Fitzwilliam. Pritchett was a prominent member of the congregationalist body at York, and was identified with a great many philanthropic and religious movements there. He died at York on 23 May, and was buried in the cemetery there on 27 May 1868. He married, first, at Beckenham, Kent, on 6 Aug. 1786, Peggy Maria, daughter of Robert Terry, by whom he had three sons and one daughter, Maria Margaret. The latter married John Middleton of York, and was mother of John Henry Middleton, architect, late director of the South Kensington Museum. Pritchett married, on 6 Jan. 1829, his second wife, Caroline, daughter of John Benson, solicitor, of Thorne, near York, by whom he had three sons and two daughters, of whom the eldest son, James Pigott Pritchett, adopted his father's profession at Darlington.
[Builder, 6 June 1868; Redgrave's Dict. of Artists; Pedigree of Pritchett by G. Milner-Gibson-Cullum and James P. Pritchett, with family notes by the latter (London, 1892).]
PRITZLER, Sir THEOPHILUS (d. 1839), Indian commander, was in 1793 appointed ensign in an independent company in the British army, and on 18 March 1794 he became a lieutenant in the 85th foot. He thence exchanged, on 27 Aug. 1794, into the 5th dragoon guards, went out to Holland, and