Open main menu

Page:Dictionary of National Biography volume 50.djvu/82

This page has been validated.

portant record of the Spanish Armada which exists. It is probable that Ryther's charts, or Adams's original drawings, were the basis for the tapestries of the Spanish Armada, executed by Hendrik Cornelisz Vroom in Holland, and formerly in the House of Lords. Reduced copies of Ryther's charts were published by John Pine [q. v.] in his work on the Armada tapestries. The ‘tables’ were published by Ryther separately from the book, and are very scarce.

[Ames's Typogr. Antiq. ed. Herbert; Thoresby's Vic. Leod. 1724, p. 90; Boyne's York. Libr. p. 266.]

L. C.

RYTHER, JOHN (1634?–1681), nonconformist divine, son of John Rither (d. 1673), a tanner, was born in Yorkshire about 1634, and educated at Leeds grammar school. On 25 March 1650, being then under sixteen years of age, he was admitted as a sizar at Sidney-Sussex College, Cambridge. His father became a leader among the quakers at York. Ryther held the vicarage of Frodingham (including Bromby), Lincolnshire, from which he was ejected, the presumption being that it was a sequestered living, which he lost at the Restoration. He retired to York, but soon obtained the vicarage of North Ferriby, Yorkshire; he resided, however, at Brough in the neighbouring parish of Elloughton. Ejected from Ferriby by the Uniformity Act of 1662, he preached in his house at Brough till the operation of the Five Miles Act (which came into force 25 March 1666) compelled him to remove. He preached at Allerton, near Bradford, and aided in founding in 1668 the congregational church at Bradford-dale. For illegal preaching he was imprisoned for six months, and again for fifteen months, in York Castle. About 1669 he removed to London, a meeting-house was built for him at Wapping, and here he became exceedingly popular with sailors, who shielded him from arrest. He was known as the ‘seaman's preacher.’ He died in June 1681. The mother of Andrew Kippis [q. v.] was his descendant. He published, besides single sermons (1672–80), including a funeral sermon for James Janeway [q. v.]:

  1. ‘The Morning Seeker,’ 1673, 8vo.
  2. ‘A Plat for Mariners; or the Seaman's Preacher,’ 1675, 8vo; reprinted [1780], 8vo, with preface by John Newton (1725–1807) [q. v.]
  3. ‘The Best Friend … or Christ's Awakening Call,’ 1678, 8vo.

John Ryther (d. 1704), son of the above, acted as chaplain on merchant ships trading to both the Indies, and early in 1689 became minister at Nottingham of the congregational church in Bridlesmith Gate, and (from 3 Oct. 1689) in Castle Gate. He published: ‘A Defence of the Glorious Gospel,’ 1703, 8vo, against John Barret (1631–1713) [q. v.] Among the manuscripts in the museum of Ralph Thoresby [q. v.] were ‘A Journal kept by the Rev. Mr. John Ryther of his Voyage from Venice to Zant, 1676 … from Zant … to London. … Another from Sardinia to England. From London, 1680, to the coast of Cormandell, and Bay of Bengale. From Fort St. George, 1681, to Cape Bona Esperance, from St. Helena to England.’

[Calamy's Account, 1713, pp. 448, 833; Calamy's Continuation, 1727, ii. 601 sq. 953 sq.; Musæum Thoresbyanum, 1816, p. 81 (89); Carpenter's Presbyterianism in Nottingham [1862], pp. 106, 109; Miall's Congregationalism in Yorkshire, 1868, p. 240; Heywood's Diaries, ed. Turner, ii. 289; Nottingham Daily Press, 30 May 1889; information from the master of Sidney-Sussex College, and from J. S. Rowntree, esq., York.]

A. G.

RYVES, BRUNO (1596-1677), dean of Windsor, son of Thomas, and grandson of John Ryves of Damory Court, Dorset, was born in 1596, and educated at Oxford, subscribing as a clerk of New College in 1610. Sir Thomas Ryves [q. v.] was his first cousin. He graduated B.A. in 1616, and in the following year became a clerk of Magdalen, proceeding M.A. 9 June 1619, B.D. 20 June 1632, and D.D. 25 June 1639. He was admitted of Gray's Inn in 1634. In the meantime he was instituted to the vicarage of Stanwell in Middlesex, where he made a name by his 'florid' preaching (Wood), obtaining in September 1628 the additional benefice of St. Martin-le-Vintry. About 1640 he became chaplain to Charles I. The inhabitants of Stanwell petitioned against him in July 1642, and he was forthwith deprived of his benefices, and a parliamentary preacher appointed in his stead. 'With his wife and four children and all his family he was (according to Walker) taken out of doors, all his goods seized, and all that night lay under a hedge in the wet and cold. Next day my Lord Arundel, hearing of this barbarous usage done to so pious a gentleman, sent his coach with men and horses,' and Ryves was entertained for some time at Wardour Castle. A patent of June 1646 created him dean of Chichester, but he remained in seclusion and dependent upon charity at Shafton in Dorset until after the king's death, when he made at least one journey abroad, bearing to Charles II some money which had been collected among his adherents. Upon the Restoration he petitioned for the vicarage of St. Giles's, Cripplegate; but better preferment was in store for him. He was in July 1660 installed dean of Chichester and master of the hospital there; he was also sworn chaplain-