the following year. On the accession of the whigs to power under Earl Grey, he accepted office as a junior lord of the treasury in November 1830, and discharged its duties until the fall of Melbourne's first administration in November 1834. In Melbourne's second ministry he was joint secretary to the board of control for the affairs of India, April 1835 to September 1839, and under-secretary of state for war and the colonies from that date till September 1841, being sworn a member of the privy council on 21 Aug. 1841. When Lord John Russell formed his first ministry in 1846, he did not apportion any office to Smith, who, however, joined his government as secretary-at-war during the last three weeks of its existence, 6 to 28 Feb. 1852. Under Lord Palmerston he was president of the board of control, with a seat in the cabinet from February 1855 to March 1858, during the eventful period of the Indian mutiny. At the general election of 1831 he was elected M.P. for Northampton, for which he was afterwards re-elected ten times (at every election except one at the head of the poll), but vacated his seat on being raised to the peerage as Baron Lyveden on 28 June 1859. By royal license on 14 July following he received permission to use the surname of Vernon only instead of Smith, and to bear the arms of Vernon quarterly in the first quarter with his paternal arms, his issue having previously been similarly authorised by royal license on 5 Aug. 1845. Lyveden, who was for many years a metropolitan commissioner in lunacy (established pursuant to 2 and 3 Will. IV, c. 107), had his country seat at Farming Woods, near Thrapstone, Northamptonshire, of which county he was a deputy lieutenant. He was created a G.C.B. on 13 July 1872, and died on 10 Nov. 1873.
Lyveden edited in 1848 ‘Horace Walpole's Letters to the Countess of Ossory,’ and in 1850 the ‘Early Writings’ of his father. His speech in proposing the second reading of the Church Rates Abolition Bill in the House of Lords was printed in 1860.
[Official Return of Members of Parliament; Foster's Peerage; Alison's Autobiography; Foster's Alumni Oxon.]
SMITH, SAMUEL (1587–1620), writer on logic, born in Lincolnshire in 1587, was entered as a commoner at Magdalen Hall, Oxford, on 19 Oct. 1604, and became a fellow of Magdalen College in 1608. He graduated B.A. on 25 Jan. 1608–9, M.A. 23 May 1612, and bachelor of medicine 15 April 1620. He was appointed junior proctor of the university on 28 April 1620, being then ‘accounted the most accurate disputant and profound philosopher in the university’ (Wood, Athenæ Oxon. ii. 283). He died on 17 June 1620, and was buried in the chapel of Magdalen College. Besides contributing verses to the university collections on the death of Henry, prince of Wales, 1612, and on the marriage of the Prince Palatine, 1613, he was author of a popular elementary manual of logic, entitled ‘Aditus ad Logicam, in usum eorum qui primo Academiam salutant,’ Oxford, 1613, 1621, 1627, 1633, 1639, &c., 8vo.
[Bloxam's Reg. of Magd. Coll. v. 29; Oxford Univ. Reg. vol. ii. pt. iv. 388; Foster's Alumni Oxon., early ser. iv. 1380; Madan's Oxford Press.]
SMITH, SAMUEL (1584–1662?), ejected divine, born near Dudley about 1584, was the son of a clergyman. In the beginning of 1603 he entered St. Mary Hall, Oxford, as a batler, but left the university without a degree. He was presented to the living of Prittlewell in Essex on 30 Nov. 1615 by Robert, lord Rich [see under Rich, Penelope, Lady Rich]. On the outbreak of the civil war Smith retired to London for safety, and identified himself with the presbyterians. He became famed as a preacher, and in 1648 received from parliament the perpetual curacy of Cound and Cressage in Shropshire, on the death of Richard Wood, the rector, sequestered for delinquency (Hist. MSS. Comm. 7th Rep. i. 26 a). On his settlement in the county he was appointed an assistant to the commission for the ejection of ‘scandalous and ignorant ministers and schoolmasters.’ In 1654 he was temporarily appointed to preach in Hereford Minster and the adjacent country, in place of Richard Delamain (Cal. State Papers, Dom. 1654, p. 224). On the Restoration he was ejected from his living at Cound. The date of his death is uncertain. Wood says that he was living in 1663, but if he be identical with Samuel Smith of Sandon in Essex, as Calamy believes, he was buried on 2 April 1662 (Obituary of Richard Smyth, ed. Ellis, p. 55).
Besides many separate sermons, Smith published: 1. ‘David's Repentance, or a plain and familiar exposition of the Fifty-first Psalm,’ London, 1618, 12mo, which went through many editions. About 1765 a so-called thirty-first edition was printed at Newcastle-on-Tyne, which bears no resemblance to the original work. 2. ‘Joseph and his Mistress: five Sermons,’ London, 1619, 8vo. 3. ‘Christ's Last Supper, or the Doctrine of the Sacrament: five Sermons,’ London, 1620, 8vo. 4. ‘The Great Assize; or the