acid, a small quantity of volatile acid, 0.5% of sugar and 0.8% of glycerin. There are about 20,000 saké breweries in Japan, and the annual output is about 150 million gallons. Saké is a yellowish-white liquid, its flavour somewhat resembling that of madeira or sherry. It is warmed prior to consumption, as the flavour is thereby improved and it is rendered more digestible. The name is said to be derived from the town of Osaka which, from time immemorial, has been famous for its saké. According to Morewood it is probable that the wine called “ sack ” in England derived its name from the Japanese liquor, being introduced by Spanish and Portuguese traders (see Wine).
SAKHALIN, or SAGHALIEN, a large elongated island in the North Pacific, lying between 45° 57, and 54° 24, N., off the coast of the Russian Maritime Province in East Siberia, divided between the Russian and japanese empires. Its proper Ainu name, K arafulo or Karaflu, has been restored to the island by the japanese since 1905. Sakhalin is separated from the mainland by the narrow and shallow Strait of Tartary or Mamiya Strait, which often freezes in winter in its narrower part, and from Yezo (japan) by the Strait of La Pérouse. The island is 600 m. long, and 16 to 105 broad, with an area of 24,560 sq. m. Its orography and geological structure are imperfectly known. Two, or perhaps three, parallel ranges of mountains traverse it from north to south, reaching 2000 to 5000 ft. (Mt. Ichara, 4860 ft.) high, with two or more wide depressions, not exceeding 600 ft. above the sea. Crystalline rocks crop out at several capes; Cretaceous limestones, containing an abundant and specific fauna of gigantic ammonites, occur at Dui on the west coast, and Tertiary conglomerates, sandstones, marls and clays, folded by subsequent upheavals, in many parts of the island. The clays, which contain layers of good coal and an abundant fossil vegetation, show that during the Miocene period Sakhalin formed part of a continent which comprised north Asia, Alaska and japan, and enjoyed a comparatively warm climate. The Pliocene deposits contain a mollusc fauna more arctic than that which exists at the present time, indicating probably that the Connexion between the Pacific and Arctic Oceans was broader than it is now. Only two rivers are worthy 'of mention. The Tym, 250 m. long and navigable by rafts and light boats for 50 m., Hows north and north-east with numerous rapids and shallows, and enters the Sea of Okhotsk. The Poronai flows south-south-east to the Gulf of Patience or Shichiro Bay, on the south-east coast. Three other small streams enter the wide semicircular Gulf of Aniva. or Higashifushimi Bay at the southern extremity of the island. f Owing to the influence of the raw, foggy Sea of Okhotsk, the climate is very cold. At Dui the average yearly temperature is only 33-0° Fahr. (January 3-4°; July 61-o°), 35-0° at Kusunai and 37-6° at Aniva (January, 9-5°; July, 60-2°). At Alexandrovsk near Dui the annual range is from 81 in July to -38° in January, while at Rykovsk in the interior the minimum is -49° Fahr. The rainfall averages 22% in. Thick clouds for the most part shut out the sun; while the cold current from the Sea of Okhotsk, aided by north-east winds, brings immense ice-Hoes to the east coast in summer. The whole of the island is covered with dense forests, mostly coniferous. The Ayan spruce (Abies ayanensis), the Sakhalin fir (Abies sachalensis) and the Daurian larch are the chief trees; on the upper parts of the mountains are the Siberian rampant cedar (Cembra pumila) and the Kurilian bamboo (Arundinaria kurileuse). Birch, both European and Kamchatkan (Betula alba and B. Ermani), elder, poplar, elm, wild cherry (Prunus fpadus), T axus baccata-and several willows are mixed with the coni ers; while farther south the -maple, mountain ash and oak, as also the japanese Panax ricimfolfium, the Amur cork (Philodendron amurense), the spindle tree (Euonymus macropterus) and the vine (Vitis lhunbergii) make their appearance. The under woods abound in berry-bearing plants (e.g. cloud berry, cranberry, crow berry, red whortleberfy), berriecl elder (Sambucus racemosa), wild raspberry and Spiraea. Bears, foxes, otters and sables are numerous, as also the reindeer in the north, and the musk deer, hares, squirrels, rats and mice everywhere. The avi-fauna is the common Siberian, and the rivers swarm with fish, especially species f salmon (Onwrhynchus). Numerous whales visit the Sea-COaSt. gea-lions, seals and dolphins are a source of profit. Sakhalin was inhabited in the Neolithic Stone Age. Flint implements, exactly like those of Siberia and Russia, have been found at Dui and Kusunai in great numbers, as well as polished stone hatchets, like the European ones, primitive pottery with decorations like those of Olonets and stone weights for nets. Afterwards a population to whom bronze was known left traces in earthen walls and kitchen-middens on the Bay of Aniva. The native inhabitants consist of some 2000 Gilyaks, 1300 Ainus, with 750 Orochons, 200 Tunguses and Some Yakuts. The Gilyaks in the north support themselves by fishing and hunting. The Ainus inhabit the south part of the island. There are also 32,000 Russians, of whom over 22,150 are convicts. A little coal is mined and some rye, wheat, oats, barley and vegetables are grown, although the period during which vegetation can grow averages less than 100 days. Fishing is actively prosecuted, especially by the japanese in the south.
History.-Sakhalin, which was under Chinese dominion until the 19th century, became known to Europeans from the travels of Martin Gerritz de Vries in the 17th century, and still better from those of La Pérouse (1787) and Krusenstern (1805). Both, however, regarded it as a peninsula, and were unaware of the existence of the Strait of Tartary, which was discovered in 1809 by a japanese, Mamiya Rinzo. The Russian navigator Nevelskoi in 1849 definitively established the existence and navigability of this strait. The Russians made their first permanent settlement on Sakhalin in 1857; but the southern part of the island was held by the japanese until 1875, when they ceded it to Russia. By the treaty of Portsmouth (U.S.A.) of 1905 the southern part of the island below 50° N . was re-ceded to japan, the Russians retaining the other three-fifths of the area. See C. H. Hawes, In the Utlermosl East (London, 1903). (P. A. K.; j. T. BE.)
SAKI, the native name of a group of tropical American monkeys nearly allied to those known as uakaris (see UAKAR1), with which they agree in the forward inclination of the lower incisor teeth, the depth of the hinder part of the lower jaw, and the non-prehensile tail. The sakis, ~which form the genus Pilhecla, are specially characterized by their long and generally bushy tails, distinct whiskers and beard, and the usually elongated hair on the crown of the head, which may either radiate from a point in the centre, or be divided by a median parting. They are very delicate animals, difficult to keep in confinement, and in that state exhibiting a gentle disposition, and being normally silent (see PRIMATES). 1
SAKURA-JIMA, a japanese island, oval in shape and measuring 7 m.by 5 m., lying in the northern part of the Bay of Kagoshima (31° 40' N., 130° 35' E.). It has a volcano 3743 ft. high (of which an eruption was recorded in 1779), and is celebrated for its hot springs, its oranges and its giant radishes (daikon), which sometimes weigh as much as 70 lb.
SALA, GEORGE AUGUSTUS HENRY (1828-1895), English
journalist, was born in London, on the 24th of November 1828. His father, Augustus John James Sala (1792-1828), was the son of Claudio Sebastiano Sala, an Italian, who came to London to arrange ballets at the theatres; his mother, Henrietta Simon (1789-1860), was an actress and teacher of singing. Sala. was at school in Paris and studied drawing in London. In his earlier years he did odd jobs in scene-painting and book illustration. He wrote a tragedy in French, Frédégonde, before he was ten years old, and in 1851 attracted the attention of Charles Dickens, who published articles and stories by him in Household Words and All the Year Round, and in 1856 sent him to Russia as a special correspondent. About the same time he got to know Edmund Yates, with whom, in his earlier years, he was constantly connected in his journalistic ventures. From ISOO to 1886, over his own initials, he wrote “ Echoes of the Week ” for the Illustrated London News. Afterwards they were continued in a syndicate of weekly newspapers almost to his death. Thackeray, when editor of the Coruhill, published articles by him on Hogarth in 1860, which were issued in volume form in 1866. In 1860 he started'Temple Bar, which he edited till 1866 when the magazine was taken over by Messrs Bentley. Meanwhile he had become in 1857 a contributor to the London Daily Telegraph, and it was in this capacity that he did his most characteristic work, whether as a foreign correspondent in all parts of the world, or as a writer of leaders or special articles. His literary style was highly coloured, bombastic, egotistic and full of turgidi periphrases, but his articles were invariably full of interesting matter and helped to make the reputation of the paper. He collected a large library and had an elaborate system of commonplace-books, so that he could bring into his articles enough show or reality of special information to make