filling of casual vacancies in the said Assemblies, or as preventing the participation in either of the said Assemblies, in accordance with such arrangements as may be made in that behalf, of representatives of the tribal areas on the borders of the Dominion for which that Assembly sits, and the powers of the said Assemblies shall extend and be deemed always to have extended to the making of provision for the matters specified in this proviso.
(4) In this Act, except so far as the context otherwise requires—
- references to the Government of India Act, 1935, include references to any enactments amending or supplementing that Act, and, in particular, references to the India (Central Government and Legislature) Act, 1946;
- "India where the reference is to a state of affairs existing before the appointed day or which would have existed but for the passing of this Act, has the meaning assigned to it by section three hundred and eleven of the Government of India Act, 1935;
- "Indian forces" includes all His Majesty's Indian forces existing before the appointed day and also any forces of either of the new Dominions;
- "pension" means, in relation to any person, a pension whether contributory or not, of any kind whatsoever payable to or in respect of that person, and includes retired pay so payable, a gratuity so payable and any sum or sums so payable by way of the return, with or without interest thereon or other additions thereto, of subscriptions to a provident fund;
- "Province" means a Governor's Province;
- "remuneration" includes leave pay, allowances and the cost of any privileges or facilities provided in kind.
(5) Any power conferred by this Act to make any order includes power to revoke or vary any order previously made in the exercise of that power.
20. This Act may be cited as the Indian Independence Act, 1947.
- 9 & 10 Geo, 6. c 39.