10And Balak's anger was kindled against Balaam, and he smote his hands together; and Balak said unto Balaam: 'I called thee to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast altogether blessed them these three times. 11Therefore now flee thou to thy place; I thought to promote thee unto great honour; but, lo, the Lord hath kept thee back from honour.' 12And Balaam said unto Balak: 'Spoke I not also to thy messengers that thou didst send unto me, saying: 13If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the Lord, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; what the Lord speaketh, that will I speak? 14And now, behold, I go unto my people; come, and I will announce to thee what this people shall do to thy people in the end of days.' 15And he took up his parable, and said:
- The saying of Balaam the son of Beor,
- And the saying of the man whose eye is opened;
- 16The saying of him who heareth the words of God,
- And knoweth the knowledge of the Most High,
- Who seeth the vision of the Almighty,
- Fallen down, yet with opened eyes:
- 17I see him, but not now;
- I behold him, but not nigh;
- There shall step forth a star out of Jacob,
- And a scepter shall rise out of Israel,
- And shall smite through the corners of Moab,
- And break down all the sons of Seth.
- 18And Edom shall be a possession,
- Seir also, even his enemies, shall be a possession;
- While Israel doeth valiantly.
- 19And out of Jacob shall one have dominion,
- And shall destroy the remnant from the city.
20And he looked on Amalek, and took up his parable, and said:
- Amalek was the first of the nations;
- But his end shall come to destruction.
21And he looked on the Kenite, and took up his parable, and said:
- Though firm be thy dwelling-place,
- And though thy nest be set in the rock;
- 22Nevertheless Kain shall be wasted;
- How long? Asshur shall carry thee away captive.
23And he took up his parable, and said:
- Alas, who shall live after God hath appointed him?
- 24But ships shall come from the coast of Kittim,
- And they shall afflict Asshur, and shall afflict Eber,
- And he also shall come to destruction.
25And Balaam rose up, and went and returned to his place; and Balak also went his way.
25And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit harlotry with the daughters of Moab. 2And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods; and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods. 3And Israel joined himself unto the Baal of Peor; and the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel. 4And the Lord said unto Moses: 'Take all the chiefs of