- 27At her feet he sunk, he fell, he lay;
- At her feet he sunk, he fell;
- Where he sunk, there he fell down dead.
- 28Through the window she looked forth, and peered,
- The mother of Sisera, through the lattice:
- 'Why is his chariot so long in coming?
- Why tarry the wheels of his chariots?
- 29The wisest of her princesses answer her,
- Yea, she returneth answer to herself:
- 30'Are they not finding, are they not dividing the spoil?
- A damsel, two damsels to every man;
- To Sisera a spoil of dyed garments,
- A spoil of dyed garments of embroidery,
- Two dyed garments of broidery for the neck of every spoiler?'
- 31So perish all Thine enemies, O Lord;
- But they that love Him be as the sun when he goeth forth in his might.
And the land had rest forty years.
6And the children of Israel did that which was evil in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord delivered them into the hand of Midian seven years. 2And the hand of Midian prevailed against Israel; and because of Midian the children of Israel made them the dens which are in the mountains, and the caves, and the strongholds. 3And so it was, when Israel had sown, that the Midianites came up, and the Amalekites, and the children of the east; they came up against them; 4and they encamped against them, and destroyed the produce of the earth, till thou come unto Gaza, and left no sustenance in Israel, neither sheep, nor ox, nor ass. 5For they came up with their cattle and their tents, and they came in as locusts for multitude; both they and their camels were without number; and they came into the land to destroy it. 6And Israel was brought very low because of Midian; and the children of Israel cried unto the Lord.
7And it came to pass, when the children of Israel cried unto the Lord because of Midian, 8that the Lord sent a prophet unto the children of Israel; and he said unto them: 'Thus saith the Lord, the God of Israel: I brought you up from Egypt, and brought you forth out of the house of bondage; 9and I delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians, and out of the hand of all that oppressed you, and drove them out from before you, and gave you their land. 10And I said unto you: I am the Lord your God; ye shall not fear the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell; but ye have not hearkened unto My voice.'
11And the angel of the Lord came, and sat under the terebinth which was in Ophrah, that belonged unto Joash the Abiezrite; and his son Gideon was beating out wheat in the winepress, to hide it from the Midianites. 12And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him, and said unto him: 'The Lord is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.' 13And Gideon said unto him: 'Oh, my lord, if the Lord be with us, why then is all this befallen us? and where are all His wondrous works which our fathers told us of, saying: Did not the Lord bring us up from Egypt? but now the Lord hath cast us off, and delivered us into the hand of Midian.' 14And the Lord turned towards him, and said: 'Go in this