This page needs to be proofread.
40 For the Leader. A Psalm of David.
- 2I waited patiently for the Lord;
- And He inclined unto me, and heard my cry.
- 3He brought me up also out of the tumultuous pit, out of the miry clay;
- And He set my feet upon a rock, He established my goings.
- 4And He hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God; 39
- Many shall see, and fear,
- And shall trust in the Lord.
- 5Happy is the man that hath made the Lord his trust,
- And hath not turned unto the arrogant, nor unto such as fall away treacherously.
- 6Many things hast Thou done, O Lord my God,
- Even Thy wonderful works, and Thy thoughts toward us;
- There is none to be compared unto Thee!
- If I would declare and speak of them,
- They are more than can be told.
- 7Sacrifice and meal-offering Thou hast no delight in;
- Mine ears hast Thou opened;
- Burnt-offering and sin-offering hast Thou not required.
- 8Then said I: 'Lo, I am come
- With the roll of a book which is prescribed for me;
- 9I delight to do Thy will, O my God;
- Yea, Thy law is in my inmost parts.'
- 10I have preached righteousness in the great congregation,
- Lo, I did not refrain my lips;
- O Lord, Thou knowest.
- 11I have not hid Thy righteousness within my heart;
- I have declared Thy faithfulness and Thy salvation;
- I have not concealed Thy mercy and Thy truth from the great congregation.
- 12Thou, O Lord, wilt not withhold Thy compassions from me;
- Let Thy mercy and Thy truth continually preserve me.
- 13For innumerable evils have compassed me about,
- Mine iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to look up;
- They are more than the hairs of my head, and my heart hath failed me.
- 14Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;
- O Lord, make haste to help me.
- 15Let them be ashamed and abashed together
- That seek after my soul to sweep it away;
- Let them be turned backward and brought to confusion
- That delight in my hurt.
- 16Let them be appalled by reason of their shame
- That say unto me: 'Aha, aha.'
- 17Let all those that seek Thee rejoice and be glad in Thee;
- Let such as love Thy salvation say continually:
- 'The Lord be magnified.'
- 18But, as for me, that am poor and needy,
- The Lord will account it unto me;
- Thou art my help and my deliverer;
- O my God, tarry not.
41 For the Leader. A Psalm of David.
- 2Happy is he that considereth the poor;
- The Lord will deliver him in the day of evil.