This page needs to be proofread.
- 17For the shadow of death is to all of them as the morning;
- For they know the terrors of the shadow of death.
- 18He is swift upon the face of the waters;
- Their portion is cursed in the earth;
- He turneth not by the way of the vineyards.
- 19Drought and heat consume the snow waters;
- So doth the nether-world those that have sinned.
- 20The womb forgetteth him; the worm feedeth sweetly on him;
- He shall be no more remembered;
- And unrighteousness is broken as a tree.
- 21He devoureth the barren that beareth not;
- And doeth not good to the widow.
- 22He draweth away the mighty also by his power;
- He riseth up, and he trusteth not his own life.
- 23Though it be given him to be in safety, whereon he resteth,
- Yet His eyes are upon their ways.
- 24They are exalted for a little while, and they are gone;
- Yea, they are brought low, they are gathered in as all others,
- And wither as the tops of the ears of corn.
- 25And if it be not so now, who will prove me a liar,
- And make my speech nothing worth?
25 Then answered Bildad the Shuhite, and said:
- 2Dominion and fear are with Him;
- He maketh peace in His high places.
- 3Is there any number of His armies?
- And upon whom doth not His light arise?
- 4How then can man be just with God?
- Or how can he be clean that is born of a woman?
- 5Behold, even the moon hath no brightness,
- And the stars are not pure in His sight;
- 6How much less man, that is a worm!
- And the son of man, that is a maggot!
26 Then Job answered and said:
- 2How hast thou helped him that is without power!
- How hast thou saved the arm that hath no strength!
- 3How hast thou counselled him that hath no wisdom,
- And plentifully declared sound knowledge!
- 4With whose help hast thou uttered words?
- And whose spirit came forth from thee?
- 5The shades tremble
- Beneath the waters and the inhabitants thereof.
- 6The nether-world is naked before Him,
- And Destruction hath no covering.
- 7He stretcheth out the north over the empty space,
- And hangeth the earth over nothing.
- 8He bindeth up the waters in His thick clouds;
- And the cloud is not rent under them.
- 9He closeth in the face of His throne,
- And spreadeth His cloud upon it.
- 10He hath described a boundary upon the face of the waters,
- Unto the confines of light and darkness.