L. S. NO. 2 TO GAZETTE NO. 27/2001
L.N. 158 of 2001
- (a) if the notice is delivered to the person concerned;
- (b) if the notice is sent by registered post addressed to that person at the place of residence or business of that person, if any, last known to the Director; or
- (c) (where it cannot be served in accordance with paragraph (a) or (b)) if the notice is published in the Gazette.
(8) A notice served under subsection (6) shall—
- (a) state the names (if known to the Director) of the persons whom the Director believes to be the owner and the licensee of the vessel;
- (b) state the name (if known to the Director) of every person whom the Director believes to be the owner or otherwise entitled to the possession of any property on board the vessel;
- (c) describe the vessel and the place at which it was seized;
- (d) describe the property on board the vessel;
- (e) give the reason for the seizure and detention of the vessel;
- (f) specify the position where the vessel is secured, anchored or moored during its detention;
- (g) specify the action (if any) required to secure the release of the vessel or any property on board the vessel; and
- (h) specify the period (being not less than 14 days) within which a claim may be submitted to the Director for the release of the vessel or any property on board the vessel, and the place at which such a claim may be submitted.
(9) The Director may, for the purposes of subsection (8)(g), specify any action required to secure the release of a vessel or any property on board the vessel, and any such action may include the payment of any expense incurred as a result of or in connection with any action taken or caused to be taken by the Director under this section in respect of the vessel or the property in question, as the case may be.
(10) A person who obstructs the Director in the exercise of any of the powers conferred by subsection (4) or (5) commits an offence and is liable on conviction to a fine at level 2 and to imprisonment for 6 months.
17. Release of detained vessels, etc.
(1) A claim for the release of a vessel that is the subject of a notice served under section 16(6), or for the release of any property on board the vessel, may be submitted to the Director, subject to compliance with the following requirements—