Open main menu

Page:Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management.djvu/2205

This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.

purpose. If the notice be not complied with, the local authority may do what is necessary, and for that purpose may enter into a contract with any water company in the district, and water rates may be levied on the premises by the authority or company furnishing the supply. Any expenses incurred will be recoverable from the owner.

And in rural districts,[1] if the sanitary authority consider that any occupied dwelling house has not within a reasonable distance an available supply of wholesome water sufficient for the consumption and use for domestic purposes of the inmates of the house, and are of opinion that such supply can be provided at a reasonable cost not exceeding a capital sum the interest on which at 5 per cent, would amount to 2d. a week, or at such other cost not exceeding 3d. a week, as the Local Government Board may determine to be reasonable, they may require the owner, within a specified time, not exceeding six months, to provide such supply. If at the expiration of the time specified the notice is not complied with, the authority may serve a second notice informing the owner that if the first notice be not complied—with within one month thereafter the authorities will provide the supply themselves and charge him with the expenses; and at the end of the month they may proceed to do so, if the notice be not complied with unless the owner has within twentyone days of the second notice sent to the authority an objection to the notice on any of the following grounds:—(a) that the supply is not required, (b) that the time limited for providing the supply is insufficient, (c) that it is impracticable to provide it at a reasonable cost, (d) that the authority ought themselves to provide a supply for the district in which the house is situate or render the existing supply wholesome, (e) that the whole or part of the expenses ought to be a charge on the district. Where any of such objections is raised the authority cannot proceed until authorized by a court of summary jurisdiction or by the Local Government Board.

The rural sanitary authority are entitled to enter and inspect the water supply to any dwelling-house where they have reasonable ground for believing that the supply is defective.

Closing of polluted wells or cisterns, etc.—The provisions with regard to the dosing, etc., of polluted wells, tanks or cisterns in the administrative county of London (as to which, sec p. log^, apply equally elsewhere, except that the owner or occupier of the premises to which the well, etc., belongs, is only liable for the expenses incurred in carrying out any order that may be made.

Drainage.—Where a house is without a drain sufficient for its effectual drainage the local authority may, by written notice, require the owner or occupier, within a reasonable time, to make a drain in accordance with their requirements and to empty it into a sewer, if there be one within 100 ft. of the house, and if not, into such cesspool as they may direct. If the notice is not complied with, the local authority may do the work and recover the rxpenses from the owner. Local authorities may, after complying with certain formalities, make bye-laws with regard to the drainage of buildings.

Regulations as to closets and ashpits.—Where it appears to the local authority house is without a sufficient water-closet or privy, or an ashpit furnished proper doors and coverings, they may enforce the provision thereof, 1> the same means as are applicable in the case of insufficient drainage,— Alm-h, see above. And the local authority may, after compliance with D formalities, make bye-laws with regard to closets, etc., and the keeping iter-closets supplied with sufficient water for flushing.

Power of local (minority to inspect drain*, etc.—On the written application of any person to a local authority, stating that any drain, closet, ashpit or cesspool on any premises within their district is a nuisance or injurious to

  1. The Local Government Board may, if they think fit, by order invest any urban sanitary authority with the powers here referred to.