NOTES AND QUERIES. [io s. xn. AUG. 28, im
forecast of eminence that was fully realized. For a great many years he was the leading musician at the aristocratic balls throughout the country. He composed many melodies, afterwards edited and published by his son. To Neil's fine air ' Locherroch Side ' Burns wrote his, touching lyric " Oh ! stay, sweet warbling woodlark, stay " ; and Neil's ' Farewell to Whisky ' and other lively tunes are familiar to all experts in Scottish music. Raeburn painted Neil for the County Hall of Perth and for several Scottish noblemen, and David Allan introduced him into his ' View of a Highland Wedding.'
The son, Nathaniel Gow (1766-1831), had the advantage of a good musical training in Edinburgh, and worthily succeeded his father as Scotland's leading violinist, besides proving himself a diligent and capable editor and composer. He was appointed one of the royal trumpeters in Edinburgh, and was long the leader of a band that was indispensable at metropolitan dances as well as at the fashionable balls throughout the provinces. For a time he was very success- ful as a music publisher in Edinburgh, many tunes by himself, his father, and others appearing under his hand ; and it has been well said of him that he " did much, if not more than any of his predecessors, to present in an attractive way the spirit and beauty of our national music." Those who take an interest in strathspeys and reels will be familiar with his work, while a wider circle will recognize his skill and dexterity in his felicitous setting of Lady Nairne's ' Caller HerrinV The poet wrote this song for the musician's benefit, giving him this appro- priate position in her penultimate stanza :
Caller herrin's no to lightlie, Ye can trip the spring fu' tightlie. Spite o' tauntin', flauntin', mngin , Gow has set you a' a-singin', Wha '11 buy caller herrin', &o.
Neil Gow is commemorated in Little Dun- keld Church by a marble tablet, placed by his sons John and Nathaniel. When Chambers published his memoir of Nathaniel in the ' Biographical Dictionary of Eminent Scotsmen,' he stated that he was buried in the Greyfriars' Churchyard, Edinburgh, and added : " No stone points out to the stranger where the Scottish minstrel sleeps." If this neglect has been continued, it ought to be remedied without delay.
The two Gows occupy nearly three columns in^' Diet. Nat; Biog.,' xxii. 293-5. Scott introduces Neil Gow in * St. Ronan's Well,' chap. xx. W. C. B.
Sir W. Scott mentions both the Gows in ' St. Ronan's^Well,' chap. xx. S. B.
[MR. W. E. WILSON also thanked for reply.]
THE PARKER CONSECRATION AND THE LAMBETH REGISTER (10 S. xii. 62, 112). T. C. appears to be right in his solution of this difficulty, which had remained unsolved for half a century. Browne Willis in his ' Survey of Cathedrals,' iii. 103 (1730), states- that " Owen Hodgson, S.T.B., was installed as Archdeacon of Lincoln Jan. 14, 1558, on the death of Thomas Marshall ; but he was forced to give place to Nicholas Bullingham, who became restored on the Deprivation of Hodgson Anno 1559." The restoration is not noted in Le Neve's ' Fasti '; but Willis had access to the muniments at Lincoln, and his account is fortified by what T. C. says. Will T. C. furnish a reference with regard to Ayscough's petition ?
I may add that the first two volumes of Willis's * Survey ' are continuously paged from 1 to 894, anno 1727 ; but vol. ii. has not a regular title-page, that which serves for one being destitute of date, place, and origin.
RICHARD H. THORNTON. 36, Upper Bedford Place, W.C.
THE PRYOR'S BANK, FTJLHAM (10 S. xii. 128). The sale catalogue will be found at the British Museum under " 7807, d. 3 (12). Baylis, T. Sale calatogue of Pryor's bank, 1841." An account will also be found in The Gentleman's Magazine for January, 1842. I have just written on the subject of Pryor's Bank and some of the objects in the col- lection, and the article will probably appear in the October number of The Antiquary. J. TAVENOR-PERRY.
5, Burlington Gardens, Chiswick.
In The Art Journal for 1862 there is an interesting account of Fulham pottery and the manufactures carried on there. This article is from the pen of Mr. Baylis, the owner of Pryor's Bank, and the collector of the antiquities and curiosities there brought together. In this article he describes one of the more important pieces.
The first sale at Pryor's Bank took place on the 3rd of May, 1841, and five following days, there being a second sale on the 25th of May, 1854, and four following days.
W. E. HARLAND-OXLEY. Westminster.
JOHN ABBOT (10 S. xi. 469). One John Abbott, son of Thomas of Christ Church, London, pleb., matriculated from New Coll., Oxon, on 15 Feb., 1725/6, aged twenty. A. R. BAYLEY.