Open main menu

Page:Notes and Queries - Series 10 - Volume 12.djvu/46

This page needs to be proofread.


RICHARD MEREDITH, DEAN OF WELLS (10 S. xi. 410, 474). In answer to H. C.'s query as to Dean Meredith's marriage, I may say that it took place at St. Mary's Church, Leicester, on 28 Feb., 1603/4, the bride being Elizabeth, daughter of John Chippingdale, Doctor of Law, who was a resident in the Newark, Leicester.

There is also reference to Meredith in the ' Calendar of State Papers Domestic, Jamesl.,' vol. xiii., under date 21 March, 1605, which records a grant to John Chippingdale of the advowson of the parsonage of Cheriton, diocese of Winchester, to present Bic. Meredith, one of the King's Chaplains.

In vol. xxviii., under date 9 Nov., 1607, is the grant to Ric. Meredith of the Deanery of Wells, void by death of Dr. Heydon.


5, Linden Road, Bedford.

WILLIAM GUILD (10 S. xi. 470). William Guild was the son of Matthew Guild, armourer in Aberdeen, and was born in 1586. He was educated at Marischal College, and his first ministerial charge was the parish church of King-Edward, near Banff, to which he was called in 1608. During his ministry at King-Edward the honour of Doctor in Divinity was conferred upon him by his Alma Mater. In 1631 he became one of the ministers of St. Nicholas' Church, and in 1640 he was appointed to the prin- cipalship of King's College. This office he held till 1651, when he was ejected by Cromwell's Commission. He thereupon asked to be reinstated in his ministry in St. Nicholas' ; but that was not done, and he seems to have lived in retirement until his death in 1657.

Dr. Guild was the author of a great manv books (see Robertson's ' Bibliography of Aberdeen,' Spalding Club, 1893) ; but although he is not known by these books, Dr. Guild's name is honoured because of his liberality to some of our public institutions, and particularly to the Incorporated Trades, for whom he purchased in 1631 the convent buildings of the Trinity Friars (see Shirrefs's ' Life of Dr. William Guild,' Aberdeen, 1798 and 1799). JAMES B. THOMSON.

Public Library, Aberdeen.

Prof. Cooper's article in the ' Dictionary of National Biography ' on Dr. William Guild, Minister of King Edward (1608-31), afterwards Minister of the Second Charge in Aberdeen, and Principal of King's College, gives the essential points, and a useful bibliography is appended. As Dr. Guild's publications are for the most part very

s.carce, the following additions to Prof. Cooper's list of twenty-one publications may be noted, viz. :

1. Young man's inquisition. 1608.

2. Levi : his complaint. Edinburgh, 1617.

3. A short treatise agaynst the prophanation of the Lord's Day, especiallie by salmond - fishing thereon, in tyme 01 Divine Service. Aberdeen, 1637.

4. To the nobilitie, gentrie, burrowis, ministers, and otheris of this lait combinatioun in Covenant, a freindlie and faithfull advyss. Aberdeen, 1639.

5. Isagoge Catechetica. Aberdeen, 1649. From the list of editions of ' Moses

Vnuailed ' (the work specially mentioned by MB. RUSSELL) a very interesting edition (London, 1623) is omitted. A nice copy of that edition is in this library, and a copy is also in the possession of the Aberdeen University Library.

Dr. Cooper's bibliography gives the date of James Shirrefs's ' Inquiry into the Life, Writings, and Character of Rev. Dr. William Guild' as 1799. That, however, is the second edition. The first was issued in 1798.


Public Library, Aberdeen.

There is a ' Life ' of Guild by Dr. James Shirrefs (Aberdeen, 1799), who sums him up as " possessing not only the talents of a man truly great, but the still more amiable qualities of one eminently good." Lists of his works are given in ' D.N.B.,' Watt's ' Biblio. Brit.,' and Darling's ' Cyclo. Biblio.'; and more modest ' Lives ' of him will be found in Chalmers's and Rose's Biographical Dictionaries. Portraits of Guild and his father are in Trinity Hall, Aberdeen.


187, Piccadilly, W. [MB. A. R. BAYLEY also thanked for reply.]

ST. PETER'S AT ROME (10 S. xi. 448). The story Vhich MR. L ANGLE Y wants is No. III. in 'Tom Tiddler's Ground,' being ' The Extra Christmas Number of All the Year Bound,' 1861. Its title is ' Picking up Terrible Company.'

According to the reprint of ' The Nine Christmas Numbers of All the Year Round ^ 26, Wellington Street, Strand, and Messrs. Chapman & Hall, 193, Piccadilly (1870 or about), and the new edition of the stories published by Messrs. Chapman & Hall in 1907, the writer of this thrilling story was Amelia B. Edwards. The two main figures in it are Francois Thierry, political offender, and Gasparo, burglar, forger, and incendiary. They are not on the dome of St. Peter's because they are convicts. Having escaped from Toulon, they happen to meet at Rome,