Page:Notes and Queries - Series 11 - Volume 11.djvu/426

This page needs to be proofread.


416


NOTES AND QUERIES. [11 s. XL MAY 29, 1915.


meremium " (12th); 4th quarter, "j lata- mus "(1st week), "Dominus Adam quondam socius collegii " (4th), " j bigator portaris brasium " (6th), " ij homines facientes fenestram vitream in Bursaria " (10th), " Sylvester cum uxore eius " and " ij f ustula tores " (12th), "ij bigatores portantes grossum salem " ; but next day two " por- tantes album salem " were at the Lay-clerks' table (13th). I notice no guest this year quite so captivating as the barber of 1424-5, "quidam barbitonsor ad radendum barbas sacerdotum," who dined with the Fellows twice in one week (the llth of the 4th quarter).

In the weekly lists of the community three of the officials are mentioned, not by their personal names, but by their titles ; the Warden, the Head Master ( ! Mr. Scol."), and the Usher. That is often the case also with the Sub-warden. Whoever filled this office when the book for 1401-2 began vacated it at the end of the 1st quarter, and at the same time ceased to be a Fellow. John More thereupon became Sub -warden ; the vacant Fellowship was given about three weeks later to Win. Swyndon, who had become a Chaplain early in the 1st quarter ; and after an interval Nicholas North, a lay-clerk, was promoted Chaplain. Conse- quently for a while there were only two lay- clerks ; but in the 8th week of the 3rd quarter the number rose temporarily to four, an irregularity marked by the notes : "Mem. de iiij to clerico quod stat sita septimana sub examinacionem : ideo cave de eius communis Mem. pardonatus est."

In the Register of Fellows Swyndon is said to have become Fellow in February, 1H. IV. (*.e.,Feb., 1400). But this Register, like the Register of Scholars, is at the out- set a compilation, both of them having probably been begun and brought up to date by Robert Hecte (as to whom see US. ix. 466) after his admission as Fellow in Feb , H. V. (1422). The hall- book is the con- temporary, and therefore the more trust- worthy, document, and that it is not of the year 1399-1400 is abundantly clear when one compares its details with those of the Account Roll of that year. Moreover, there is the evidence of Wykeham's Episcopal Register (Kirby's edition, i. 353) that Swyndon and North, who must have had priest's orders when they became College Chaplains, were ordained deacons, the one oxi 28 May, 1401, and the other on 18 Feb 1402. H. C. '

Winchester College.

(To be concluded.)


LONDON'S " LITTLE GERMANY." Readers of ' N. & Q ' may care to be reminded of the origin of the considerable Low German colony encamped " in the Fields behind Old Whitechapel Church," which formed the embryo and nucleus of the " Little Germany" in East London, so prominent and not always agreeably so in the great days of the sugar-refining in St. George's East and other hamlets alongshore in the Port. The first colonists were fugitive Protestants from the devastated Palatinate, Flanders,. Brabant, and the sometime Austrian Netherlands, their numbers being continu- ally increased during the Wars of Religion in Central Europe. Sons of these " aliens " are soon seen entering into the public affairs of Great Britain, and sharing in the pioneering and backwoods' fighting of the Thirteen Colonies of America in conjunc- tion with much less desirable elements from Hanover and other northern portions of the very motley and often mongrel " Ger- mania " within and without the " Holy Roman Empire." These latter streamed into England on the accession of the Georgian dynasty, and their motive was no- better than that inadvertently admitted by one of the blowsy harlots in the train of the " Wee Wee German Lairdie." It is re- corded that, expostulating with an extremely uncivil and brutally frank London crowd who beset her sedan chair, she screamed, " Mine goot people, we come for your goods ! "

Hence, when the distressed British Govern- ment were seeking for " mercenaries " to carry on the muddling ^ ar with the revolt- ing colonies, there was a good deal of the needed raw, and emphatically rough, mate- rial collectable in the Port of London to- join with the miserable Teutonic serfs sold like cattle by the petty Princes of Hdsse and other sordid despots of " the High Ger- manie." CHARLES McN AUGHT.

DUBLIN STREET- AND PLACE-NAMES. (See 11 S. viii. 285.)

Blackrock, formerly Newton-on-the Strand.

Chancery Street, formerly Pill Lane.

Christchurch Place, formerly Skinner's Row.

Ely Place, formerly Hume Row.

Essex Street West, formerly Smock Alley.

Exchequer Street, formerly Chequer Lane.

Grattan Bridge, formerly Essex Bridge.

Greek Street, formerly Cow Lane.

Henry Place, formerly Off Lane.

Hill Street, formerly Lower Temple Street.

Kingstown, formerly Dunleary.

Merrion Street, formerly Merrion Lane.

O'Connell Bridge, formerly Carlisle Bridge.

Parnell Place, formerly Johnson's Court.