ii s. ix. APRIL 4, i9i4.] NOTES AND QUERIES.
LONDON, SATURDAY, APRIL 4, 191k.
CONTENTS. No. 223.
TfOTES : The Cold Harbour at Blackwall, 261 Irish Family Histories, 263 Isaac Taylor of Ross, Map-Maker, 264 The Place-Name " Barnet," 265 Napoleon and a Sea Captain at St. Helena Rev. T. Gale : Hurricane at Hornsea The Advent of Scotsmen in England, ,266 English Canonized Saints William Mavor and Thomas Warton Fifteenth-Century Lenten Recipe, 267.
QUERIES : P. A. Wilkinson, Gun -Maker Turtle and Thunder Turkey Company Dr. John Rogers Sir Jacob Adolphus Finds on Bookstalls, 268 ' Napoleon dans 1'Autre Monde' Lieut. -Col. Macpherson Pierre des Maiseaux Date Formulae <^e5eiaro Biographical Information Law Maxim Author Wanted Monuments to Hampshire Men Butchers' Marks, 269 " Mac- Farlan's geese "John Turnfen " O God, I think again Thy thoughts " " Quarrel d'Olman " Boranskill Sir J. Dynham Dr. H. Owen Authors of Quotations Wanted 'Aut Diabolus aut Nihil ' Squire Everton Pallavicini : Jaszberenyi Miklds, 270 Saxon Tiles, 271.
TREPLIES : Anna Trapnell, 271 "C'est progres en spirale " Orrok of Orrok Sir S. Evance Milton Queries, 272 Map of Ireland Authors of Quotations " Cousins and half-cousins " Palmer's Royal Mails Gladstone's Involved Sentences Parishes in Two Coun- ties 273 Herodotus and Astronomic Geography Anthony Munday Rhubarb Oil Painting on Brass- Invention of the Interview Stock Exchange as " The House " 274 Altars Chile versus Chili Mrs. Behn's Emperor of the Moon ' Heart-Burial, 275 Octopus, Venus's Ear, and Whelk" Not room enough to swing a cat "Duelling-" Startups End "Royalist Societies, 276" Artigou "Anglesey House Casanova and Hen- riette English Shrines, 277 Passes to London Parks- Jeremiah Horrocks Birmingham Statues Coffin-shaped Chapels Funeral Customs Name James " Billion," " Trillion," 278.
HOTES ON BOOKS : English History in Contemporary Poetry ' Badsey Churchwardens' Accounts ' Inter- national Directory of Booksellers ' ' Bibliography of English Mediseval Economic History ' Reviews and Magazines.
THE COLD HARBOUR AT BLACKWALL.
THE visitor to the erstwhile Cold Harbour of Blackwall is directed by a streets map to a narrow lane parallel with the Thames, and intersected by an outlet of the West India Dock. This lane once one continuous thoroughfare, -but now severed into two is lined by old, sub- stantial, flat-fronted cottages and villas of time-crusted brick, their ripe antiquity broken here and there by modern wharves, one or two rebuilt or refaced public-houses, and a brand-new police station.
In the days when the Easterlings first came to London, in the time of King Ethel- red, there was an old-established ferry here. For the accommodation of travellers over- taken by night amongst the broad, desolate Teaches of marsh, this Cold Harbour must
have seemed a veritable boon ; its situation, at least, could scarcely have been more con- veniently chosen.
The earliest actual reference to this place that can be gathered shows that Sir John de Pulteney, the famous citizen who has already been considered elsewhere* as the holder of " le Coldeherberghere " in the City, once owned this estate as parcel of his manor of Poplar. In 1347, by a fine levied in the King's Court, Pulteney granted the same to Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Essex, just as he had similarly done by the City mansion. Two years later orders to the Escheator disclose that Sir John was dead, and that the issues were to be restored to his widow. Dame Margaret. The lands, it seems, had not been held in chief, but during the lives of various persons.
In the next generation Sir William de Pulteney held the manor of " Popiler " (con- sisting of 3 messuages, 4 tofts, 2 water mills, 1 fulling-mill, 109 acres of land, and 220 acres of pasture) of the Bishop of Worcester, and for tenant he had Sir Nicholas de Lovayne, who took it on lease for twenty years at a rent of 100 marks. That was in 1364.
For the greater part of a century the tale of occupation is then lost, and when next heard of the mansion had fallen into the ever open hands of the Crown.
The Count de la Roche, Bastard of Bur- gundy, coming to England in 1467 to make good his acceptance of the challenge to a feat of arms with Lord Scales, Edward IV.'s queen's brother, was met in the river at this point by the Earl of Worcester, the then Constable of the Kingdom. The reception must have been a gay pageant to witness, for the Bastard of Burgundy had brought with him a retinue of " manye noble lordes, knyghtes, squyers and oothir aboute the noombre of CCCC, with foure kervelles of werre, penons, banners, gytons, stremers; his gubon [cabin] hangid with arasse within and with- oute riehely beseen " ;
while to give him welcome came with the Constable an equally imposing train of nobles, knights, esquires, aldermen, and commoners, occupying seven splendid State barges.
George, Duke of Clarence, some aver, found in this Cold Harbour a royal home till that tragic fate which " packed plain, simple Clarence with posthorse up to
- Home Counties Magazine, vol. xiv. pp. 82, 83.