166 NOTES AND QUERIES. [i2S.x.MA R . 4 , 1922. White Horse White Horse White Horse White Horse
- White Horse
White Horse White Horse Westminster At the south-west corner oi' White Horse Street, Picca- dilly Islington Road, facing the Spaw Fields Kensington Church Lane, Chelsea Corner of Welbeck Cavendish Square Peckham Bye . . Street, 17 1789 Life's Painter of Variegated Characters.' Dasent's ' Piccadilly in Three Cen- turies,' pp. 104-5." 1744 General Advertiser, March 26. Larwood, p. 172. Addison wrote several Spectators here. Pulled down c. 1825 and rebuilt as- the " Holland Arms." Thornbury, v. 90, 91. Faulkner's ' History of Chelsea/ 1829, i. 167. Larwood, p. 172. (To be concluded.) ' Life's Painter of Variegated Characters.' J. PAUL DE CASTRO. THE CROWN INN, SHIPTON-UNDER-WYCH- WOOD, OXON. Little seems to be known of the history of this interesting old inn, which possesses a fine Perpendicular gateway. The following information from a Chancery suit in, the P.R.O. (Mitford, 316/107) throws a little light on its history in the seventeenth century. In 1685 it was conveyed by Arthur Ashfield and three others of Shipton and Milton to Sir Henry Unton of Bruern, Bt., Michael Ashfield and others of Shipton and Milton on trust to apply half the yearly revenue " to for and about the reparacon amending and maintenance of that part of Shipton Bridge under Whichwood which is from the middle of the great bow of Shipton bridge towards the west," and the other half to the repair, &c., of " Stoken Bridge in Milton." With 16 acres of arable and 6 acres of meadow, &c., belonging to it, the value is given at 16 per annum. At that time it was in the occupation of Simon Chamberlain. From Simon C.'s will (proved at Oxford, July 9, 1597) and that of his wife Joane (proved Oxford, Nov. 19, 1597) it appears that the Rev. Bartholomew Cham- berlain, D.D., was their eldest son. Foster's ' Alumni ' states that the latter entered Trinity College, Oxford, June 7, 1563, aged 17. He held a number of livings, including that of Burford in his native county. Is anything further known of his history ? E. ST. JOHN BROOKS. EARLY DOMESTIC USE OF ELECTRIC LIGHT. In The Times recently a claim Was made (by Messrs. Hampton and Sons) that No. 7, Kensington Park Gardens, was the first private house in London to have electric light in use. The apparatus to> supply it was arranged by the occupier^of the house the late Sir William Crookes, O.M. in, the early eighties, and it is curious to note 'that the conducting wires wero insulated in glass. R. B. Upton. JOHN KENDALL (d. about 1501). The account of this Knight of St. John in the ' D.N.B.' states that he was appointed Turcopolier in 1477 and succeeded John Weston as prior of the English Hospitallers about 1491, and that he apparently died in November, 1501. About 12 years ago,, when reading A. H. Mathew's * very bad translation of the Diary of Joannes Burch- ardts, I remember coming across the name of John Kendall Virgil as Turcopolier in the pontificate of Innocent VIII. (1482-92). Presumably Virgil was his nickname. Is he known to have written poetry ? Ac- cording to Canon Mifsud's ' English Knights Hospitallers in Malta ' (p. 66 n . ), Kendall was appointed Grand Prior of England July 20, 1485. In notes on pp. 44, 199 and 200, Canon Mifsud states that, as Prior, John Kendall, with the assent of the provincial chapter, let Hampton Court for 99 years at 46 a year, but that the indenture of a long lease of Hampton Court at 59 a year, entered between the Prior, Sir Thomas Docwra and Cardinal Wolsey, who had obtained or purchased its cession at the death of the person to whom Prior Kendall had previously given it, is alluded to in a charter of the Grand Master, dated 14 August 1517 (vo 1 . 406, L.C., 1517, f. 163, P.R.M.), which may be seen in Porter's ' History of the Knights,' ed. London* 1883, p. 571.