NOTES AND QUERIES. 235 Leamington." Surely not always ! There are differences with very clear distinctions. " In Leamington is to be found a wonder- working Spa " ; " The delegates fixed the date and place of their next assembly, viz., April 1, at London." Is not this quite correct ? At " would seem to denote a closer, more intimate, more practical connexion than " in," which merely suggests j the locality. The great capital is no abiding home, j 110 dwelling-place to the countryman. ; It has other, more remote associations for j him. " In Belmont," we may remember, was a lady richly left to whom Bassanio swore a secret pilgrimage. " In Jerusalem," " in Rome," " in Mecca " are many pilgrims to whom these sacred places are also spiritual capitals. Bassanio eventually made his home and lived " at Belmont." The votaries of Portia, however, will ever seek her " in Belmont." VALENTINE J. O'HARA. The Authors' Club, London. ADDISON'S 'SPECTATOR' (12 S. x. 168). An edition of Steele and Addison's ' Spec- tator' was published in 1753 by J. and R. Tonson and S. Draper, with frontispieces engraved by C. Grignion from designs by F. Hayman, a friend of Hogarth. The vignettes of Shakespeare are the mark of the Tonsons, derived from the fact that they carried on business at "Shakespeare's Head over against Catherine Street in the Strand," almost up to the death of the last member of the house, Jacob Tonson (d. 1767), a great-nephew of the founder of the same name, whose partner was his brother Richard. It was therefore this great- nephew who was the actual publisher of the edition in question, which is the plain text in the usual eight volumes, 12mo. W. S. Harrogate. Lowndes records that the edition of Addi- son's ' Spectator ' printed by J. and R. Tonson and S. Draper, with vignette titles by Hay- n inn, was issued in eight volumes, 8vo, in 1747. ARCHIBALD SPARKE. OXFORDSHIRE MASONS (12 S. x. 89, 138, 194, 214). In ' Memorials of S. Paul's Cathe- dral,' by the late Archdeacon Sinclair, p. 235, it is stated that Thomas Strong of Taynton, Oxon, was Master of the Masons at the commencement of the rebuilding, and that after he died his brother Edward, who had from the first been associated with him, took up his office and continued it to the completion. This is mentioned on Edward's monument in St. Peter's Church, St. Albans. The monument is on the east wall of the north aisle, and is of light veined marble upward of 10ft. high. At the top, in the middle, is a bust of Strong. The in- scription records the following particulars : Near this Place are Deposited the Remains of EDWARD STRONG Citizen & Mason of London Whose Masterly Abilities & Skill in his Profession The Many Publick Structures He was Employ'd in Raising Will most justly manifest to late Posterity. In Erecting the Edifice of St Paul, Several years of his Life were Spent, Even from the Foundation to His Laying the Last Stone And herein (equally with its Ingenious Architect S Christopher Wren And its truly Pious Diocesan Bishop Compton) He Shared the Felicity Of Seeing both the Beginning and Finishing of that Stupendous Fabrick. In Piety to his God, In Justice, Fidelity, Kindness and Charity to his Neighbour, In Temperance, Humility, Contempt of the World, and the due Government of all his Appetites and Passions In Conjugal and Paternal Affection In every Relation : every Action and Scene of Life He was what the Best Man, the Best Christian, Would desire to be at the Hour of Death, He died the 8 h of February MDCCXXIII, In the 721 year of his Age. Near Him lyeth MARTHA 49 Years his most Beloved Wife. A Wife in all Respects Worthy of Such an Husband She Died ye 15th of lune MDCCXXV Aged 72 Years Their only Daughter Elizabeth New of Newbarns Widow, died 26 Octr 1747 Aged 71 Years. The register records the burial of th& above-named persons as under : 1723/4. Mr. Edward Strong, Feb. 14. 1725. Mrs. Martha Strong, widow of Mr- Edward, June 20. 1747. Elizabeth New, November 1. A Mr. Thomas New was buried July 22, 1736 ; he was probably the husband of Elizabeth. St. Christopher's or Kitts's quarries, situated about half a mile south-west from Burford, produced the stone which was used for the columns, mouldings and tracery of the cathedral. In the south transept of Burford church, Oxon, is a mural tablet to Christopher Kempster (d. 1715), who is said to have
Page:Notes and Queries - Series 12 - Volume 10.djvu/289
This page needs to be proofread.