12 S.X.APKIL is, 1922.3 NOTES AND QUERIES. 285 1861, the paper was enlarged to more or less its present form, consisted of eight pages of six columns each, and commenced the publication of full reports of local occurrences. PART III. THE CHANCE FAMILY (1872-1922). In 1871 came the second break in the family ownership, ended by the sudden death, on July 7, of David Mowbray Walker, who for 55 years had been so closely con- nected with the management of the Journal, and the paper was carried on until the end of the year by Mrs. Elizabeth Walker, when it became the property of Thomas Henry Chance, who had had a full experience of journalism and the printing trade. He enlarged the scope of the paper by intro- ducing several new features and made it a force, especially on the political side, in the city and county. In 1879 (Jan. 4) it was enlarged to a form which gave extra space of about 12 columns. Then Samuel Bland, who had in 1876 founded in Gloucester a daily paper called The Citizen, joined Mr. Chance, and two other papers- the Gloucester Mercury and The Forester were purchased and eventually (1884) merged with the Journal. On Jan. 3, 1885, the price was reduced to %d. In 1889 a third partner, Harry Godwin Chance, M.A., was taken into the firm and he assumed the acting editorship, a position which in a few years became permanent and has been retained by him to the present time. The office was removed for the last time in 1893, and on June 3 the paper was published from St. John's Lane. On Jan. 2, 1897, the price was reduced to Id., the paper was enlarged, and printed on rotary machines from stereotyped plates. Within a few years two of the partners died, Samuel Bland on April 11, 1903, and Thomas Henry Chance on May 10, 1906. There remains little to chronicle. In 1907 (Jan. 5) the paper was enlarged to twelve pages of seven columns ; in 1914 The Cheltenham Examiner (established July 17, 1839) was absorbed ; and in 1920 the business was formed into a limited company. That the paper is carried on so vigorously is a tribute to the traditions which have been handed on from editor to editor, and at no time in its history has it been more prosperous than the year which completes its bicentenary. A special issue, with a full history of the Journal from 1722 and a facsimile of No. 1, from the only copy known, is being pub- lished, and a brochure will be issued with additional information. ROLAND AUSTIN. Gloucester. WHITEFOORD OF THAT ILK OR OF MILTOUN: WHITEFOORD OF BLAQUHAN. (See 12 S. x. 108, 153, 243.) IN -1887, the representative of Caleb White- foord, son of Colonel Charles of the Blaqu- han family, called my attention to a note by S. S.in the 1880 volume of The Genealo- gist, which is probably the most recent account of the Whitefoord families. This is not a very satisfying contribution, either as a collation of the works mentioned at the last reference or as a continuation of the pedigrees to our own times. The writer seems to assume that when Whitefoord of Whitefoord parted with that estate before the Restoration the title of " Whitefoord," or "of that ilk," passed to Whitefoord of Blaquhan ; which, even by the most in- dulgent exercise of courtesy, could not happen while the line of Miltoun survived, and if and when that line had been proved to be extinct, a claim to use it would have been very far-fetched. The writer also makes very poor use of Paterson's 'Ayrshire ' in the chronological data of the life of the first baronet, Sir Adam, whose death he very roughly dates, although Paterson afforded good proof that he died on Feb. 2, 1728, which year the Town Council of Ayr ordain the representative of Sir Adam Whitefoord of Blair- quhan* to pay two dollars for the privilege of having the bells rung at the transportation of the- corps from his lodgings to the new Church of Ayr. Again, Sir Adam must have been married long before 1715, as S. S. might have inferred from his own account of the appointments held by three of the elder sons, not to. mention the specific date of the baptisms of a fourth or fifth, on Jan, 1, 1708. If this last date be compared with that of Barbara's baptism given at the last refer- ence, July 29, 1707, it will be seen that Sir Adam of Blaquhan and Sir John of Miltoun were both bringing children to the font within a period of six months, and we may feel certain that the first baronet of Blaquhan did not call himself of Whitefoord. So spelt by all old writers.
Page:Notes and Queries - Series 12 - Volume 10.djvu/351
This page needs to be proofread.