12 S. VI. MAY 29, 19'20.]
NOTES AND QUERIES.
year of his age " ; and states that he quotes
- .his texts from " the Protestant vulgar
-translation of the Bible." There is a copy of the essay in the British Museum.
DAVIDIANS : DAVID GEORGE'S SECT (12 S- vi. 227). This anabaptist heresiarch has a
r place in Burton's ' Anatomy of Melancholy ' (Partition III., sect, iv., member L, sub- section iii) :
" What greater madness can there be, than for
.a man to take upon him to be God, as some do? to be the Holy Ghost, Elian, and what not? ...... One
David Qeorye, an illiterate Painter, not many years since, did as much in Holland, took upon him to be the Mention, and had many followers."
Burton gives his authority in the margin
- as Guicciarclini, ' Descrip. Belg.'
The man here styled David George was Jan Jorisz or Joriszoon. In later years he
called himself, Jan. van Brugge. The
- Encyclopaedia Britannica ' devotes a column
to him under the heading of Joris, David (c, 1501-1556). He was at one time a
glass-painter and is said to have visited England in this capacity. There is an account of him by A. van der Linde in the
"' Allgemeine deutsche Biographic,' and the ' Encyclopaedia ' adds the titles of other sources. Information about ' David George '
-and his views is also given in the three-
column article on ' Familists ' in J. H. Blunt's ' Dictionary of Sects, Heresies, Ecclesiastical Parties, and Schools of Reli-
rgious Thought.' David George's disciple, Henry Nicolas, is said to have come to England in the latter end of the reign of
^Edward VI. EDWARD BENSLY.
University College, Aberystwyth.
For an account of the Davidists or
Davidians see the article in the ' Ency.
Brit.,' on David Joris, or George (1501-56), ^a Dutch anabaptist heresiarch, who es-
poused Lutheranism, and afterwards adopted extreme views which he disseminated by
means of several works written in Dutch 'from Basel where he ultimately died. He
was also known as Jan van Brugge. He is -said to have been christened David because
his father was an actor who played the part
of the Jewish king in a mystery. Sometime
- after his doath his body was exhumed and
- burnt. N. W. HILL.
These were followers of David George or Joris (or Jorisz), a native of Ghent or Bruges. He founded a sect in 1542, and [published his ' Book of Wonders,' retailing
the visions which he professed to have received. His influence was very great, and his followers numerous. At Delft, Haar- lem, and elsewhere many suffered death for their adherence to him ; his own mother amongst them. He appeared in Basel in 1544 as John of Bruges, and was highly esteemed for his wealth and virtues, and died in 1566 : was betrayed three years later by his son-in-law, when his body was dug up and burned. The Sect survived about half a century after his death and circulated his writings. There is a short account of the Sect in the 'Encyclopaedia Britannica,' and an account of the founder in the same book under Joris. ARCHIBALD SPARKE.
EMERSON'S 'ENGLISH TRAITS' (12 S. vi. 228). 10. The references to Pepys required are as follows :
Earl of Oxford,' Sept. 16, 1659/60.
Lack of paper at council table,' April 22, 1666 /
also April 26 of the same.
Linendraper owed money,' Sept. 2, 1666/67. Stationer ditto,' April 22, 1666/67. Lack of bread,' Api-U 26, 1666/67, and'.Tnlv 29 of the same.
F. M. M.
23. Randolph Gallery. The Oxford University building in Beaumont Street, for which Cockerell is accountable as architect, consist of three parts : a central building running east and west, facing the south, and two advanced wings at the eastern and western ends thereof. The eastern wing on St. Giles's Street ia appropriated to Modern European Lan- guages and is known as the Taylor Institu- tion ; the central and western portions were originally known as the University Galleries and housed a number of works of arts of various kinds belonging to the University including the Pomfret statues. It was to house these especially that Francis Randolph, D.D.. Principal of St. Alban Hall, who died in 1726 bequeathed 1,000/., which with accumulated interest formed the nucleus of the sum spent by the University on their part of the building. When I went up to Oxford it was often spoken of as the Randolph Gallories. The building is now appropriated to the Ashmolean Museum (transferred from Wren's building in Broad Street), the gallery of casts from the antique, the picture gallery, the Ruskin School of Art, a studio for the Slade Professor in addition to its original contents. Owing to the pre- ponderance of the Ashmolean Collection which was greatly enriched by Dr. C. D.