9* S. IX. MAY 24, 1902.] NOTES AND QUERIES.
Cauling (not in). Spon, ut supra, p. 361, "Before cauling, raise the veneer and glue the ground well."
Celloidin (not in). 1898, English Mechanic, p. 64, " Celloidin is practically collodion, being prepared from pure pyroxylin."
Chalazogam, Chalazogamic, Cha^azogamy (not in). 1894, Twes, 11 August, p. 11, col. 3, " Treub's division into chalazogams and porogams"; ibid., "the chalazogamic Amentiferse'^; ibid., "inclined to regard chalazogamy as an adaptation."
Chalk. Also 1895, Anderson, ut supra, p. 154. " Black chalk a variety of clay containing carbon.
Chatsome(not in). 1810, in Lady Granville, 'Let- ters' (1894), vol. i. p. 2.
Check, v. (cf. the sense). Spon, ut supra, p. 678, " The covers to be droved, and in 3 pieces, one of which to cover the building on one side and half of the well, and to be half-checked where the other 2 stones meet it in the middle, and they are to be half-checked into it, also half-checked into each other where they meet in the middle, and to cover the other side of the building."
Chestnut-oak (no quot.). 1853, Morfit, 'Arts of
Tanning,' &c , p. 99, " Quercus Prinus Monticola
In Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Maryland it is called chestnut-oak, on account of the resemblance of the bark to that of the chestnut."
Cheval (not in). 1747, Gent. Mag., p. 437, "A cheval fill'd with powder, and furnish'd with bombs, grenades, and other fire-works, to be roll'd in upon a breach, where it kills or wounds all about it."
Chine (earlier). 1711, Sutherland, 'Shipbuilder's Assistant,' p. 159, " Chine ; that part of the water- way, or any thing that is channel'd, which is thicker than the other part."
Chirt.-im, Crockett, 'Raiders,' p. 78, "He's gotten an unco chirt [sudden squeeze j, puir laddie "
Chlamydospore(uotiu). 1884. Henfrey, 'Element. Bot.' (fourth ed.), p. 160, " Chlamydospores, when fully formed, are still enclosed within their parent cells."
Redmorion, Woodside Green, S.E. (To be continued.)
HOLLICKE OR HOLLECK, TOTTENHAM.
THREE centuries ago the manor and parish of Tottenham in Middlesex (then vested in William, Lord Compton, as lord of the manor) contained within itself the remains of a miniature " town," named Hollicke. Adjoin- ing it, moreover, was a wood long since disappeared perfectly distinct from the historic Hornsey and Tottenham woods, known as Hollicke or Holleck Wood. Ample evidence is extant showing that this town (not mentioned in any published local history) was situate at the western boundary of the "ancient parish of Tottenham," which included a portion of Harringay, the whole of Wood Green, and an important part of Muswell Hill. This extensive area is to this day comprised in the "Tottenham Parlia- mentary Division," although recently Tot- tenham and Wood Green have, by 51 & 52 Viet., c. clxxxvii., been separated for
parochial administrative purposes. Hollicke was, in fact, situate at or near Wood Green, this latter district originally having been simply one of the four wards of Tottenham parish. In Norden's 'Speculum Britannia (A.D. 1593) a reference is made to it as follows :
" Hollicke D. 18. there is noted the foundations of ancient buildings affirmed by some aged men that it hath been a Towne, but oftentimes Immensa cani spirans mendacia."
The above initial and figures D and 18 have reference to the divisions of a map of Middlesex comprised in Norden's treatise, and indicate that portion thereof where Hollicke is delineated. The name is also marked with an asterisk, a sign adopted by the topographer and draughtsman to denote that Hollicke was one of several "decayed places " then much in evidence in this county. This circumstance partially corro- borates the affirmations of the "aged men," and reduces the force of implied doubt suggested by the old Latin quotation. Hol- licke likewise appears in another map of Norden's "augmeted" by Speed; also in an old (undated) map by Ric. Bloome. In each instance it is placed between a sub-manor of Duccatts modernized Ducketts and Mus- well Hill, this sub - manor, like Muswell Hill, being partly in Tottenham and partly in Hornsey. The name of such sub-manor is perpetuated by a newly formed road (Ducketts Road) in the Green Lanes, Harrin- gay ; but Hollicke having been forgotten, the " powers that be " may well be pardoned for not adopting it in our local street nomen- clature. Up to within a hundred years ago there was also a " Holleck " Wood, skirting the southern extremity of the town bearing the same name, though variously spelt. It was not far removed from Hornsey Wood, now the site of Finsbury Park, a small portion of the latter, as testified by the exist- ing boundary stones, being in Tottenham parish. Reference is incidentally made to Holleck Wood in a quaint old document under date 22 May, 1802, entituled * Remarks on the Perambulation of the Parish of Tottenham made by the Parishioners' (see Dr. Robin- son's * History of Tottenham,' edition 1840). This valuable literary relic has reference to the custom of "beating the bounds." which our forefathers considered an excel- lent method of keeping in remembrance ancient landmarks, maintaining local rights, and preserving public privileges. It is to be regretted that this time-honoured and estimable custom, with all its interesting associations, has in some urban districts died