ton, S. C, were the extremes north and south. New Haven, Cleveland, Washington, Providence, Baltimore, Springfield, and Newport were also visited.
The association adjourned at Newport in 1800, intending to meet at Nashville in 1861, but the war intervened, and the meeting could not be held; and there were no other meetings William C. Redfield, first President A. A. A. S., Philadelphia, 1848. till 1866, when seventy-nine members met at Buffalo and reorganized the association. Since that time Buffalo has been a sort of Mecca, and every tenth year we reassemble there. The president at the first Buffalo meeting was Frederick A. P. Barnard, President of Columbia College. At the second Buffalo meeting William B. Rogers, already mentioned as the last President of the American Association of Geologists and Naturalists, presided. Edward S. Morse was president at the meeting in 1886. Edward D. Cope, of Philadelphia, has been elected president for the meeting of this year.
Since the reorganization at Buffalo the association has expanded and developed in many ways. At the Hartford meeting in 1874 it was incorporated under the laws of the State of Massachusetts, and it has its headquarters and museum at Salem. At the Hartford meeting also provision was made to apply the designation of "fellows" to such of the members as were devoted to science or had advanced the cause of science, and one hundred and fifty-seven members were thus constituted fellows, of whom about one half still survive. Since that time the number of fellows increased year by year, till in 1893 there were seven hundred and ninety-six, while the membership of the association reached its maximum of two thousand and fifty-four in 1891. The largest attendance of members was at Boston in 1880, when nine hundred and ninety-seven were registered. At Philadelphia in 1884 the registration reached twelve hundred and sixty-one, but nearly three hundred of this number were visitors from the British Association, which