Open main menu

Page:Popular Science Monthly Volume 56.djvu/346

This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.
332
POPULAR SCIENCE MONTHLY.

the demand for higher education. These institutions are all but one private, and three of them—one in Leipsic, one in Berlin, and a third, opened in October, 1898, in Königsberg—are called "gymnasial courses," and are for girls who have finished the girls' high school, and who must pass entrance examinations in order to be received into them.

There has been for some time a girls' gymnasium which corresponds exactly to those for boys in Carlsruhe, under the auspices of the "Society for Reform in the Education of Women," which receives girls of twelve who must have finished the six lower classes of a girls' school. This society, to which the girls of Germany owe much, is planning to open another gymnasium in Hannover, to which girls will be received from the junior class of the girls' high school; the course of study will occupy five years, and will fit girls for the same official examinations as the boys' gymnasia. The language courses in the highest class will be elective, providing either for Greek or the modern languages, but Latin is obligatory in all the classes. The girls from all these gymnasia are debarred from taking any of the official examinations for which their studies have prepared them.

The next step in the matter of gymnasial education for girls was what might have been expected. The people of the wide-awake city of Breslau voted, by an overwhelming majority, to establish a girls' gymnasium under the same laws and furnishing the same advantages as the boys' gymnasia. The completed plan was sent to the Minister of Public Instruction in Berlin in January, 1898, for approval, with the intention of opening the gymnasium at Easter, for which twenty-six girls were already enrolled. Herr Dr. Bosse, however, foreseeing the results such an undertaking would involve, consulted the other departments of the ministry, and two months later a decided refusal came like a thunderbolt upon the people of Breslau. On the 30th of April, 1898, Herr Dr. Bosse was called to account in the Reichstag for his action in the matter, which he justified on the ground that Government approval of girls' gymnasia would mean the acceptance of the diploma for matriculation in the universities and the opening to women of all Government professional examinations, and that to have granted it would have been to take a step in the direction of the modern movement for women which could never have been recalled, and would open the lecture rooms of Germany in general to women. He contended, further, that the founding of official gymnasia for girls would delegate the existing girls' high school to a secondary place, an institution which had been planned thoughtfully by the Government for the purpose of educating