In the basement (Fig. 4) is a lecture hall with a seating capacity of about 500. At the south end are three private rooms for members of staff, and a well-lighted laboratory 18 X 37 ft. The remainder of the basement is occupied by service rooms, as shown in Fig. 4. Under the south end of the building is also a sub-basement, containing four rooms.
The conservatories (Fig. 5) consist of a central palm house 104 feet long and 45 feet wide, with two south wings and two north ones. The greatest height of the palm house is 36 feet. The south wings are each divided into two houses, each 50 X 22.5 ft., and from one of these, stairs lead down to a "mushroom" cellar. The northwest wing is like the south ones, but the northeast wing is divided into four rooms, each 25 X 32. 5 ft. These rooms are reserved primarily for class use and for investigators. In the basement under the south wings are stables, a potting room, gardener's office and other service rooms.
During the spring and summer of 1911, the installation of the plantations was begun. The Local Flora Section or "native wild flower garden" (Fig. 6) was laid out and partly planted. In this section is an artificial bog (Fig. 7). The Morphological Section was also started, subdivided into a Division of External Anatomy, and a Division of Comparative Morphology. The third section planted was the Economic Garden (Fig. 8), which is of especial interest in a large city.
Fig. 7. Brooklyn Botanic Garden. A corner of the Local Flora Section, showing the artificial bog. The large label near the center of the picture locates and describes the insectivorous plants. The labels under the edge of the shrubs designate shade-loving sorts. August 14, 1911.