minister of Shahjahan, is a noble building profusely adorned with glazed tiles and painted panels. The Golden Mosque was constructed 120 years later about the same time as Safdar Jang's tomb at Delhi. The palace fort, built originally by Akbar, contains also the work of his three successors. The Shish Mahal or Hall of Mirrors, which witnessed the cession of the Panjab to the Queen of England, was begun by Shahjahan and finished by Aurangzeb. The armoury contains a curious collection of weapons. The Badshahi Mosque opposite with its beautiful marble domes and four lofty minarets of red sandstone was founded in 1673 in the reign of Aurangzeb. The cupolas were so shaken by an earthquake in 1840 that they had to be removed. Maharaja Ranjit Singh used the mosque as a magazine. In the space between it and the Fort he laid out the pretty orange garden known as the Huzuri Bagh and set in it the marble bdradari which still adorns it. Close by are his own tomb and that of Arjan Das, the fifth Guru.
Buildings outside Lahore.— The best example of Moghal architecture is not at Lahore itself, but at Shahdara across the Ravi. Here in a fine garden is the Mausoleum of Jahangir with its noble front and four splendid towers. It enshrines an exquisite sarcophagus, which was probably once in accordance with the Emperor's wish open to the sunlight and the showers. Near by are the remains of the tombs of his beautiful and imperious consort, Nur Jahan, and of her brother Asaf Khan, father of the lady of the Taj. Another building associated with Jahangir is Anarkali's tomb beside the Civil Secretariat. The white marble sarcophagus is a beautiful piece of work placed now in most inappropriate surroundings. The tomb was reared by the Emperor to commemorate the unhappy object of his youthful love. Half-a-mile off on the Multan road is the Chauburji, once the gateway of the Garden