Open main menu

Page:Quarterlyoforego10oreg 1.djvu/421

This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.


Sunday, September 5, 1909, the McLoughlin Home was dedicated at Oregon City. Dr. John McLoughlin, the head of the Hudson's Bay Company on the Pacific Coast from 1824 to 1846, and the founder of Oregon City, built this house in 1845-46, and occupied it until his death on September 3, 1857. For a number of years past it has been the desire of a number of the best citizens of that place that the old home of the "good old doctor," as he was affectionately known by the pioneers of early days, should be restored and preserved. An effort with this end in view was begun about two years ago, but was delayed by a number of unexpected obstacles. Early in 1909, the lot upon which it was originally built having changed hands, the time seemed opportune to the friends of the enterprise to begin anew an effort to save the building, particularly as the new owner of the lot upon which it stood needed the ground for other purposes, and offered the building without cost to the friends who had been endeavoring to save it. Accordingly the "McLoughlin Memorial Association" was organized for the purpose of initiating a movement to remove and restore the building. Friends of the effort in Oregon City, pioneers, members of the Oregon Historical Society, and others, generously aided by pioneers, members of the Oregon Historical Society in Portland, and other friends favoring the effort, raised something over $1,000, and caused the structure to be removed from its original site to a new and sightly location upon the bluff in a park block which was given to Oregon City by the doctor years before his death. Then the building was repaired, painted, and a new roof put on, and in general restored to original condition so far as its outward appearance is concerned. Unfortunately there was a little local prejudice against the restoration and removal of the building, and the intervention of the courts was sought to prevent it; but the