Open main menu

Page:The Lucknow album 1874 by Darogha Ubbas Alli.djvu/22

This page has been validated.

( 13 )

Having crossed the canal, the entrance to the city is from the eastern quarter; and immediately to the left will he found—


View No. 7.

The residence of the Chief Commissioner. This house was built by Nawab Saadut Ali Khan, and was, during the reign of Nuseer-ood-deen Hyder, occupied by Colonel Roberts of the Oudh Service. Upon annexation, Major Banks, Commissioner of Lucknow, became the occupant, hence it was, during the mutiny, known as "Banks' house;" it occupies a very conspicuous position, and the rebels had a strong hold of it, until the 18th March, 1858, when it was taken by a detachment of troops under command of Sir Edward Lugard. Lately the building has been much enlarged and improved, and the garden elegantly laid out. This work was commenced in 1873, at which time Sir George Couper, Bart. C. B., C. S., was Officiating Chief Commissioner of Oudh.

There is a certain melancholy interest attaching to the house, on account of the gallant Hudson having breathed his last within its walls. He had just despatched, on his own responsibility, at a most critical moment, certain of the Delhi Princes who, it was well known, were dangerous foes to the British.

Across the road, on the right, is an imposing building that could hardly be believed to be devoted to the purposes of trade: it is occupied by Messrs. Peake, Allen and Company, an enterprising firm of merchants.



A little onward is the—


View No. 8.

This house, as its name implies, is a Hospital or Dispensary, which was built by Newab Saadut Ali Khan, and