Open main menu

Page:The Lucknow album 1874 by Darogha Ubbas Alli.djvu/32

This page has been proofread, but needs to be validated.

( 23 )

berately slaughtered in cold blood. The miscreant, Rajah Jey-lal Singh, who witnessed and instigated this cruel massacre, was, some years afterwards, convicted of the crime, on the evidence of his own followers, and was executed in sight of the spot where stands the memorial of the foul deed : his wife offered five lacs of rupees for a commutation of the sentence, but the offer was indignantly refused ; his estates and property were confiscated, and in this world no greater punishment could be inflicted upon him.

 

 

Towards the left is the Ainuk Baz ke-kothee, next is a pretty building, the Delhi and London Bank. Adjoining is the—

KUNKUR WALI KOTHI.

View No. 20.

During the mutiny, this building was made the Head Quarters of the rebel General, Burkat Ahmud ; as to who built it, or what use it was formerly put to, history is conflicting : at present it is occupied by Captain Pitcher, Judge of the Small Cause Court.

On the right is a large building, formerly used as a church : it is the tomb of Amjud Ali Shah, the fourth King of Oudh, and iscommonly called " Junnut Makan ka Imambarra."

 

 

Turning again towards the Obelisk, on arriving at the end of the street, is seen the—

NOOR BUKSH-KI-KOTHI

OR

LIGHT GIVING HOUSE.

View No. 21.

So named because, when illuminated, from its great height it lighted up the neighbourhood for miles around: