( 31 )
Further to the North, spanning the river Goomtee, is—
View No. 29.
There was formerly a bridge of boats here ; the present bridge was built in 1865, and completed in 1866, under the superintendence of Mr. Bruce, the then Municipal Engineer. The work can hardly be said to have turned out an engineering success, since, during the flood season of 1870, the north side wing pier was cut under by the current and gave way : it has since been repaired and is open for traffic, but its permanency is questionable, since the plan upon which it is built seems adapted to a tidal river, rather than a river subject to floods, like the Goomtee. The old stone bridge, built nearly a hundred years ago, may be placed in contrast, it preserves its original solidity, and it will be described hereafter.
To the west on the banks of the river, appears a pile of buildings called the—
View Nos. 30 and 31.
This consists of a number of very handsome, lofty buildings, the chief of which is imposingly situated on the right bank of the Goomtee ; it is conspicuous, especially on account of its chatter, or umbrella, which, covered with gold, glitters in the sun, at a great height, above the building. This enormous parachute gives the name to the whole group of buildings. In architecture, these structures are a pleasing mixture of the Oriental geometrical, the Italian, and the French, chateau : they were built, at a fabulous expense, by King Naseer-ood-deen Hyder, as residences for his numerous Mahals or Queens. At that time they were surrounded by a high masonry wall, and afforded a powerful stronghold for the