Page:United States Statutes at Large Volume 104 Part 3.djvu/204

This page needs to be proofread.

104 STAT. 1556 PUBLIC LAW 101-510—NOV. 5, 1990 "(3) The Secretary of Defense may arrange for the provision of health care described in paragraph (2) through a contract with the insurer offering the conversion heeilth poUcy. " (c) HEALTH CARE FOR CERTAIN SEPARATED MEMBERS NOT OTHER- WISE EuGiBLE. —(1) Consistent with the authority of the Secretary concerned to designate certain classes of persons as eligible to receive health care at a military medical facility, the Secretary concerned should consider authorizing, on an individual basis in cases of hardship, the provision of that care for a member who is separated from the armed forces during the five-year period beginning on October 1, 1990, and is ineligible for transitioned health care under subsection (a) or does not obtain a conversion health policy (or a dependent of the member). "(2) The Secretary concerned shall give special consideration to requests for such care in cases in which the condition for which treatment is required was incurred or aggravated by the member or the dependent before the date of the separation of the member, particularly if the condition is a result of the particular circumstances of the service of the member. "(d) DEFINITION.—In this section, the term 'conversion health policy' means a health insurance policy with a private insurer, developed through negotiations between the Secretary of Defense and a private insurer, that is available for purchase by or for the use of a person who is no longer a member of the armed forces or a covered beneficiary. "§ 1146. Commissary and exchange beneHts Regulations. "The Secretary of Defense shall prescribe regulations to allow a member of the armed forces who is involuntarily separated from active duty during the five-year period beginning on October 1, 1990, to continue to use commissary and exchange stores during the twoyear period beginning on the date of the involuntary separation of the member in the same manner as a member on active duty. "§ 1147. Use of military family housing "(a) TRANSITION FOR INVOLUNTARILY SEPARATED MEMBERS.— The Secretary of a military department may, pursuant to regulations prescribed by the Secretary of Defense, permit individuals who are involuntarily separated during the five-year period beginning on October 1, 1990, to continue for not niore than 180 days after the date of such separation to reside (along with other members of the individual's household) in military family housing provided or leased by the Department of Defense to such individual as a member of the armed forces. "(b) RENTAL CHARGES.— The Secretary concerned, pursuant to such regulations, shall require a reasonable rental charge for the continued use of military family housing under subsection (a), except that such Secretary may waive all or any portion of such charge in any case of hardship. "§ 1148. Relocation assistance for personnel overseas "The Secretary of Defense shall develop a program specifically to assist members of the armed forces stationed overseas who are preparing for discharge or release from active duty, and the dependents of such members, in readjusting to civilian life. The program shall focus on the special needs and requirements of such members and dependents due to their overseas locations and shall include, to