Page:United States Statutes at Large Volume 98 Part 2.djvu/1236

This page needs to be proofread.
PUBLIC LAW 98-000—MMMM. DD, 1984

98 STAT. 2396

25 USC 2009.

PUBLIC LAW 98-511—OCT. 19, 1984

"(i) publish, on July 1 preceding the fiscal year for which the funds are appropriated, allotments to each affected school made under this section of 85 percent of such appropriation; and "(ii) publish, no later than September 30 of such preceding fiscal year, the allotments to be made under this section of the remaining 15 percent of such appropriation, adjusted to reflect actual student attendance. "(3) Notwithstanding any law or regulation governing procurement by Federal agencies, the supervisor of each school receiving funds under this section shall, subject to school board approval, have the authority to expend no more than 10 percent of the funds allotted by this section to procure supplies and equipment, with or without competitive bidding.". (b) Section 1129(c) is amended by inserting at the end thereof the following: "The Secretary shall institute a program for funding tribal divisions of education and the development of tribal codes of education,". APPEALS FROM ACTIONS OF SCHOOL BOARDS

25 USC 2011.

SEC. 507. (a) Section 1129(b) is amended by striking out the last sentence and inserting in lieu thereof the following: "The supervisor of the school may appeal any such action of the local school board to the superintendent for education of the Bureau agency by filing a written statement describing the action and the reasons the supervisor believes such action should be overturned. A copy of such statement shall be submitted to the local school board and such board shall be afforded an opportunity to respond, in writing, to such appeal. After reviewing such written appeal and response, the superintendent may, for good cause, overturn the action of the local school board. The superintendent shall transmit the determination of such appeal in the form of a written opinion to such board and to such supervisor identifying the reasons for overturning such action.". (b) Section 1131(d) is amended by striking out paragraphs (2) and (3) and inserting in lieu thereof the following: "(2)(A) The supervisor of a school may appeal to the appropriate agency superintendent for education any determination by the local school board for the school that an individual be employed, or not be employed, in an education position in the school (other than that of supervisor) by filing a written statement describing the determination and the reasons the supervisor believes such determination should be overturned. A copy of such statement shall be submitted to the local school board and such board shall be afforded an opportunity to respond, in writing, to such appeal. After reviewing such written appeal and response, the superintendent may, for good cause, overturn the determination of the local school board. The superintendent shall transmit the determination of such appeal in the form of a written opinion to such board and to such supervisor identifying the reasons for overturning such determination. "(B) The superintendent for education of an agency office of the Bureau may appeal to the Director of the Office any determination by the local school board for the school that an individual be employed, or not be employed, as the supervisor of a school by filing a written statement describing the determination and the reasons the supervisor believes such determination should be overturned. A copy of such statement shall be submitted to the local school board