out drugs, simply living there in a state of complete indifference,—you will be near success. It is easy to stop walking: the trouble is to walk without touching the ground. As an agent of man, it is easy to deceive; but not as an agent of God. You have heard of winged creatures flying. You have never heard of flying without wings. You have heard of men being wise with wisdom. You have never heard of men wise without wisdom.
- Wise of God, without the wisdom of man.
"Look at that window. Through it an empty room becomes bright with scenery; but the landscape stops outside. Were this not so, we should have an exemplification of sitting still and running away at one and the same time.
- An empty room would contain something,—a paradox like that in the text.
"In this sense, you may use your ears and eyes to communicate within, but shut out all wisdom from the mind.
- Let the channels of your senses be to your mind what a window is to an empty room.
And there where the supernatural
- Something which is and yet is not, like the landscape seen in, and yet not in, a room.
can find shelter, shall not man find shelter too? This is the method for regenerating all creation.
- By passive, not by active, virtue.