- An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation, 1789 treatise by Jeremy Bentham that argued animal suffering is just as real as human suffering
- Animals' Rights: Considered in Relation to Social Progress, 1892 by Henry Salt
- The First Step, 1891 essay by Leo Tolstoy debating the presence of hypocrisy in a Christian or Pagan claim to be virtuous without practicing vegetarianism.
- Friends and Helpers, pre-1899 work by Sarah J. Eddy
- Christ Among the Cattle, 1908 sermon by Frederic Rowland Marvin arguing that compassion for animals is essential to Christian teaching
See also the related index at: