Portal:Case law of the United States
Supreme Court of the United StatesEdit
- Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad v. Minnesota, March 24, 1890
United States Courts of AppealEdit
- Storage Technology Corp. v. Custom Hardware Engineering & Consulting, Inc., 431 F.3d 134 (Fed. Cir. 2005)
- In re African-American Slave Descendents Litigation, 471 F.3d 754 (7th Cir. 2006), aff'g in part and rev'g in part 375 F. Supp. 2d 721 (N.D. Ill. 2005) (dismissing lawsuits seeking reparations from numerous corporations for their alleged complicity in slavery).
United States Court of ClaimsEdit
- Liliuokalani v. The United States 45 Ct. Claims 418 (1910)
United States District CourtsEdit
These decisions preceded the district's division into east and west:
- United States v. Ta-wan-ga-ca, Hempst. 304, 28 F. Cas. 18 (D. Ark. 1836) (No. 16,435)
- In the Matter of Keeler, Hempst. 306, 14 F. Cas. 173 (D. Ark. 1843) (No. 7637)
- United States v. Conway, Hempst. 313, 25 F. Cas. 598 (D. Ark. 1843) (No. 14,849)
- United States v. Clarke, Hempst. 315, 25 F. Cas. 454 (D. Ark. 1844) (No. 14,812)
- United States v. Drennen, Hempst. 320, 25 F. Cas. 908 (D. Ark. 1845) (No. 14,992)
- Putnam v. United States, Hempst. 332, 20 F. Cas. 90 (D. Ark. 1846) (No. 11,484)
- Heirs of Bullitt v. United States, Hempst. 333, 4 F. Cas. 654 (D. Ark. 1846) (No. 2128)
- Callender v. United States, Hempst. 334, 4 F. Cas. 1074 (D. Ark. 1846) (No. 2321)
- Vallieré v. United States, Hempst. 335, 28 F. Cas. 929 (D. Ark. 1847) (No. 16,822) (mem.)
- Law v. United States, Hempst. 338, 15 F. Cas. 17 (D. Ark. 1848) (No. 8131) (mem.)
- Winter v. United States, Hempst. 344, 30 F. Cas. 350 (D. Ark. 1848) (No. 17,895)
- De Villemont v. United States, Hempst. 389, 7 F. Cas. 560 (D. Ark. 1848) (No. 3839), aff'd sub nom. Heirs of De Vilemont v. United States, 54 U.S. (12 How.) 261 (1851)
- Glenn v. United States, Hempst. 394, 10 F. Cas. 472 (D. Ark. 1849) (No. 5481), aff'd, 54 U.S. (13 How.) 250 (1852)
- Morris v. Williams, 59 F. Supp. 508 (E.D. Ark. 1944) (plaintiff schoolteacher alleged that Little Rock school district discriminated against black teachers by paying them less than white teachers; district court denied relief after finding plaintiff did not show discrimination on the basis of race), rev'd, 149 F.2d 703 (8th Cir. 1945).
- Shelton v. McKinley, 174 F. Supp. 351 (E.D. Ark. 1959), rev'd, Shelton v. Tucker, 364 U.S. 479 (1960)
- Yancey v. Faubus, 238 F. Supp. 290 (E.D. Ark. 1965) (Amendment 45 to Arkansas Constitution held unconstitutional under U.S. Supreme Court's case law about reapportionment).
- Talley v. Stephens, 247 F. Supp. 683 (E.D. Ark. 1965) (complaints by Arkansas inmates about corporal punishment, among other policies).
- Jackson v. Bishop, 268 F. Supp. 804 (E.D. Ark. 1967) (corporal punishment of prison inmates was not always cruel and unusual punishment), vacated, 404 F.2d 571 (8th Cir. 1968).
- Holt v. Sarver, 300 F. Supp. 825 (E.D. Ark. 1969) (Holt I) (complaints about use of solitary confinement in Arkansas prisons).
- Holt v. Sarver, 309 F. Supp. 362 (E.D. Ark. 1970) (Holt II) (conditions in Arkansas penitentiary were so deplorable that they were cruel and unusual punishment), aff'd, 442 F.2d 304 (8th Cir. 1971), on remand sub nom. Holt v. Hutto, 363 F. Supp. 194 (E.D. Ark. 1973) (Holt III), rev'd sub nom. Finney v. Arkansas Board of Correction, 505 F.2d 194 (8th Cir. 1974), on remand sub nom. Finney v. Hutto, 410 F. Supp. 251 (E.D. Ark. 1976), aff'd, 548 F.2d 740 (8th Cir. 1977), aff'd, 437 U.S. 678 (1978).
- Simpson v. Weeks, 530 F. Supp. 196 (E.D. Ark. 1977) (police chief illegally punished subordinate after wrongly concluding that subordinate had given information to opposing counsel in pending lawsuit against police department), aff'd in part and rev'd in part, 570 F.2d 240 (8th Cir. 1978).
- United States v. Griffin, 462 F. Supp. 928 (E.D. Ark. 1978) (denying plea agreement between government and criminal defendant). Eisele, C.J., explains why he refuses to accept plea agreements in criminal cases.
- McLean v. Arkansas Board of Education, 529 F. Supp. 1255 (E.D. Ark. 1982) (enjoining enforcement of state law that required schools to teach creation science alongside evolution).
- Phillips v. Weeks, 586 F. Supp. 241 (E.D. Ark. 1984) (attorney fee award in class action alleging racial discrimination by Little Rock police).
- Paula Jones v. William Clinton April 1, 1998
- Judge's Opinion Dismissing April 1, 1998 Judge Susan Webber Wright's ruling dismissing all three counts in Paula Jones' sexual harassment and employment discrimination lawsuit against President Bill Clinton, saying there were no "genuine issues" worthy of a trial
- Norwood v. Soldier of Fortune Magazine, 651 F. Supp. 1397 (W.D. Ark. 1987) (First Amendment did not give magazine an absolute privilege to publish classified ad by "gun for hire", where a reader had hired ad's author to assassinate plaintiff).
- Mitchell v. Globe International Publishing, Inc., 773 F. Supp. 1235 (W.D. Ark. 1991) (denying tabloid's motion for summary judgment in defamation case), subsequent op. sub nom. Peoples Bank & Trust Company of Mountain Home v. Globe International, Inc., 786 F. Supp. 791 (W.D. Ark.) (denying publisher's motions for posttrial relief, including remittitur), aff'd in part and rev'd in part sub nom. Peoples Bank & Trust Company of Mountain Home v. Globe International Publishing, Inc., 978 F.2d 1065 (8th Cir. 1992) (ordering remittitur but otherwise affirming judgment), on remand sub nom. Mitchell v. Globe International Publishing, Inc., 817 F. Supp. 72 (W.D. Ark. 1993) (granting remittitur).
- Religious Technology Center vs. Netcom (21 Nov. 1995)
- Sharper Image Corporation v. Consumers Union of United States, November 9, 2004, dismissing Sharper Image's suit against CU for making false and damaging statements about their Ionic Breeze air cleaner
- John Doe v. Uri Geller (Jan. 2008)
District of ColumbiaEdit
- Fitzgerald investigation of "Plame Case"
- Order finding Matthew Cooper and Time Inc. in civil contempt of court in not providing the name of his source in the "Plame Case" (August 9, 2004)
- Government's Memorandum in Opposition to Matthew Cooper's Memorandum Regarding the Contempt Sanctions (July 5, 2005) asking for denial of Cooper’s request for supervised home confinement rather than federal prison for contempt of court in not providing the name of his source in the "Plame Case"
- USDOJ OSC Federal indictment of Lewis Libby October 28, 2005 grand jury indictment of "Scooter Libby" in "Plame Case" investigation by Patrick Fitzgerald
- Kent E. Hovind, et al. v. Scott M. Schneider et al (31 Oct 2002) Minister Kent Hovind sues the IRS for harassment and trespassing. Judge dissmissed Hovind's claim. No. 3:02cv297/RV/MCR
- United States of America v Kent Hovind and Jo Hovind (11 July 2006) Charges that Hovind was to forfeit $430,400 and faces a maximum of 288 years in prison.
- Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States, 231 F. Supp. 393 (N.D. Ga.), aff'd, 379 U.S. 241 (1964)
- In re African-American Slave Descendents Litigation, 375 F. Supp. 2d 721 (N.D. Ill. 2005) (dismissing lawsuits seeking reparations from numerous corporations for their alleged complicity in slavery), aff'd in part and rev'd in part, 471 F.3d 754 (7th Cir. 2006).
- I Am The Beast SSSOTLOHIEFMJN v. Michigan State Police, July 12, 1990
- ACLU v. NSA (438 F. Supp. 2d 754), District Court Opinion, August 17, 2006
- Flue-cured Tobacco Cooperative Stabilization Corporation et al v. United States Environmental Protection Agency, and Carol Browner, Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency july 17, 1998
Lawsuit by Flue-cured Tobacco Cooperative Stabilization Corporation, The Council for Burley Tobacco, Inc., Universal Leaf Tobacco Company, Inc., Philip Morris Inc., R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, and Gallins Vending Company, v. United States Environmental Protection Agency, and Carol Browner, Administrator, Environmental Protection Agency challenging EPA's finding on second hand smoke
- Field v. Google, Inc., 412 F. Supp. 2d 1106 (D. Nev. 2006)
- Bauer v. Glatzer
- Universal City Studios, Inc. v. Reimerdes, 111 F. Supp. 2d 294 (S.D.N.Y. 2000)
- United States of America v. Usama bin Laden, 2001
- 20th Century Fox Film Corp. v. Cablevision Systems Corp., 478 F. Supp. 2d 607 (S.D.N.Y. 2007)
- Renken v. Harvey Aluminum Inc., 226 F. Supp. 169 (D. Oregon 1963)
- Byron v. Rajneesh Foundation International, 634 F.Supp. 489 (D. Oregon 1985)
- United States ex rel. Gerald Mayo v. Satan and His Staff 54 F.R.D. 282 (1971)
- Kitzmiller v. Dover Area School District, 400 F. Supp. 2d 707 (M.D. Pa. 2005) (school district's "intelligent design" policy held to violate the Establishment Clause)
- Legal Correspondence Regarding Mr. Wadsworth's Arrest, 1895 discussion of whether police have a right to detain or arrest a citizen unless a warrant is in their possession
- Michael Reynolds indictment, homeless man worth less than $25 is charged with terrorist conspiracy
- Wilson v. Southwest Airlines Co., 517 F. Supp. 292 (N.D. Tex. 1981)
- Live Nation Motor Sports, Inc. v. Davis, Jan. 9, 2007.
- Doe v. MySpace, Inc., Feb. 13, 2007.
- Intellectual Reserve v. Utah Lighthouse Ministry 1999
- The SCO Group, Inc. v. Novell, Inc. (Aug. 10, 2007)
United States Tax CourtEdit
- Erhard Seminars Training v. C.I.R. Docket Nos. 6283-75, 9220-76, 6249-78, 820-79, 4857-80, 1408-81. (1986)
- Est v. C.I.R. Docket Nos. 8043-80, 8998-81. (1986)
- Meyer v. C.I.R. Docket Nos. 6667-78, 10169-78. (1986)
- Erhard v. C. I. R. Docket No. 39473-85, 46712-86, 39532-87, 137-88. (1991)
- Erhard v. C. I. R. Docket Nos. 39473-85, 46712-86, 39532-87, 137-88. (1992)
- Thorne v. C. I. R. Docket Nos. 15467-80, 29911-85. U.S. Tax Ct (1992)
- Erhard v. C. I. R. Docket Nos. 39473-85, 46712-86, 39532-87, 137-88. (1993)
- Erhard v. C.I.R. No. 25656-93. U.S.Tax Ct (1994)
- Kent Hovind, Petitioner v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, Respondent (July 6, 2006) Minister Kent Hovind found liable for $500,000 of income tax. Judge dismisses "voluntary tax" claims by petitioner.
United States Bankruptcy CourtEdit
- The Hovind Bankruptcy Decision (1996) Minister Kent Hovind unsuccessfully filed for bankruptcy to avoid paying federal income taxes. Hovind was found to have lied about his possessions and income.
- The Riddle Bankruptcy Decision (2006) Chief Judge Emeritus A. Jay Cristol issues an order in a somewhat unusual format.
Federal Administrative DecisionsEdit
Federal Trade CommissionEdit
State Supreme CourtsEdit
- Escola v. Coca Cola Bottling Co. 24 Cal.2d 453 (1944)
- Drennan v. Star Paving Co., 51 Cal.2d 409 (1958)
- Greenman v. Yuba Power Products 59 Cal.2d 57 (1963)
- Hewitt v. Hewitt 77 Ill. 2d 49, 394 N.E.2d 1204 (1979)
- Morrison v. White, 16 La. Ann. 100 (1861)
- Commonwealth v. Kneeland, 20 Pick. 206, 37 Mass. 206 (1838)
- MacPherson v. Buick Motor Co., 217 N.Y. 382, 111 N.E. 1050 (1916)
- Palsgraf v. Long Island Railroad Co., 248 N.Y. 339, 162 N.E. 99 (1928)
- Boomer v. Atlantic Cement Co., 26 N.Y.2d 219 (1970)
- Lucy v. Zehmer, 196 Va. 493; 84 S.E.2d 516 (1954)
State Courts of AppealsEdit
- Wollersheim v. Church of Scientology, 212 Cal.App.3d 872, 66 Cal.Rptr.2d 1 (Cal.App. 2 Dist. 1989)
- Church of Scientology v. Armstrong, 232 Cal.App.3d 1060, 283 Cal.Rptr. 917 (Cal.App. 2 Dist. 1991)
- Church of Scientology v. Wollersheim, 42 Cal.App.4th 628, 49 Cal.Rptr.2d 620 (Cal.App. 2 Dist. 1996)
- Church of Scientology International v. Superior Court, Not Reported in Cal.Rptr.3d (Cal.App. 1 Dist. 2005)
- City of Dallas v. England, No 3-92-243-CV. Feb. 10, 1993
- Comptroller of Public Accounts v. Ethical Society of Austin, No. 03-02-00066-CV
State Trial CourtsEdit
- Price v. Philip Morris, Inc. (2003)
- Mayor of Hudson v. Thorne, 7 Paige Ch. 261 (1838)
- Gerard v. Basse, 1 U.S. (1 Dall.) 119 (Phila. Cty. Com. Pl. 1784)
- Hunter’s Lessee v. Kennedy, 1 U.S. (1 Dall.) 81 (Phila. Cty. Com. Pl. 1784)
- Gerard v. La Coste, 1 U.S. (1 Dall.) 194 (Phila. Cty. Com. Pl. 1787)
- Keely v. Ord, 1 U.S. (1 Dall.) 310 (Phila. Cty. Com. Pl. 1788)
- Graff v. Smith’s Admors., 1 U.S. (1 Dall.) 481 (Phila. Cty. Com. Pl. 1789)
- Haimes v. Temple University Hospital, 39 Pa. D. & C.3d 381 (1986)
- Portal:United States
- Portal:Case law
- Portal:United States copyright case law
- Portal:Supreme Court of the United States
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- Portal:United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit