- "New Orleans," by James Burns in The American Cyclopædia (1879)
- “New Orleans” by G. W. Cable in Encyclopædia Britannica (9th ed., 1884).
- "New Orleans," in The Nuttall Encyclopædia, (ed.) by James Wood, London: Frederick Warne and Co., Ltd. (1907)
- "New Orleans," in Encyclopædia Britannica (11th ed., 1911)
- "Archdiocese of New Orleans," by Marie Louise Points in Catholic Encyclopedia, (ed.) by Charles G. Herbermann and others, New York: The Encyclopaedia Press (1913)
- "New Orleans," in Collier's New Encyclopedia, New York: P. F. Collier & Son Co. (1921)