By the President of the United States of America
1. On July 26, 1978, the President, pursuant to his authority in section 101 (a) of the Trade Act of 1974 (Trade Act) (19 U.S.C. 2111(a)), entered into a temporary trade agreement with India. This agreement provided for temporary modifications in the rates of duty for certain products to be implemented in stages. The agreement further provided for its termination upon initial implementation of an overall agreement on tariffs pursuant to the Multilateral Trade Negotiations (MTN).
2. On September 21, 1978, the President issued Proclamation No. 4600 implementing the July 26 temporary trade agreement, which proclamation modified the Tariff Schedules of the United States (TSUS) by inserting the necessary rates of duty in the appendix thereto and provided for further staged reductions of such rates.
3. On January 1, 1980, the United States, by Proclamation No. 4707, of December 11, 1979, initially implemented its overall agreement on tariffs reached during the MTN as provided in Schedule XX to the Geneva (1979) Protocol to the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade. Pursuant to section 125(e) of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2135(e) ), the tariff concessions granted in the temporary agreement have continued in force for a one year period which will terminate at the close of December 31, 1980.
4. After complying with the requirements of section 125(f) of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2135(f)), I have decided to terminate Proclamation No. 4600, pursuant to the authority of section 125(b) of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2135(b)), effective January 1, 1981.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, JIMMY, CARTER, President of the United States of America, acting under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the statutes of the United States, including Title I and section 604 of the Trade Act (19 U.S.C. 2483), do proclaim that:
(1) Proclamation No. 4600, identified in the second recital of this proclamation, is terminated at the close of December 31, 1980.
(2) Part 2C of the Appendix to the Tariff Schedules of the United States (TSUS) is deleted, with the result that articles presently subject to the column 1 rates of duty provided in Part 2C of the Appendix to the TSUS shall be subject to the rates of duty established for such articles in schedules 1-7 of the TSUS by Proclamation No. 4707 of December 11, 1979. These rates shall apply with respect to articles entered, or withdrawn from warehouse for consumption, on or after January 1, 1981.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this thirty-first day of December, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and eighty, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fifth.
[Filed with the Office of the Federal Register, 3:07 p.m., January 2, 1981]