Royal Naval Biography/Kendall, John
JOHN KENDALL, Esq
This officer accompanied the Hon. Captain Byron, in the Dolphin, of 20 guns, on a voyage of discovery round the world, which was completed in twenty-two months and six days. He subsequently served under the same commander on the coast of North America, where he was promoted to the rank of Post-Captain, Nov. 24, 1778; since which time, we believe, he has not been afloat. His superannuation as a Rear-Admiral, took place July 3, 1795.
- On the 3d July, 1764, the Dolphin, of 20 guns, commanded by the Hon. John Byron, and the Tamar sloop of war, Captain Patrick Mouat, sailed from Plymouth, on a voyage of discovery; and on the 14th Jan. 1765, being in the lat. of 51°S., and long. 63°22'W., some small islands were discovered, in one of which was found a most excellent harbour, where the ships anchored. Captain Byron, in compliment to the first Lord of the Admiralty, gave it the name of Port Egmont. These islands were surveyed, and taken possession of for Great Britain, by the name of Falkland’s Islands. From hence the ships proceeded into the Pacific, and pursued their course to the N.W. On the 7th June, in lat. 14°5'S., long. 144°58'W., a cluster of small islands was discovered, but every part of their coasts found to be inaccessible, being bounded by stupendous rocks, on which a most violent surf constantly broke. The first of these islands Captain Byron named after his sovereign; the others were denominated Prince of Wales’s Island, Duke of York’s Island, and the Islands of Danger. On the 2d July, in lat. 1°18'S., long. 173°46'W., another island was discovered, which the officers of the expedition, in compliment to their Commodore, named Byron’s Island. From the latter they steered for Tinian, and from thence to Batavia, the Cape of Good Hope, and England. They anchored in the Downs, May 9, 1766.