Open main menu


ROBERT MURRAY, Esq
Admiral of the Blue.


This officer entered the naval service under the auspices of his near relative, the late Hon. Admiral Digby, who was the first nautical tutor of the present illustrious Admiral of the Fleet[1]. He obtained the rank of Post-Captain, Dec. 15, 1782; commanded the Blonde, of 32 guns, during the Spanish armament; and subsequently the Blanche and Triton frigates. At the commencement of the war with the French republic, he was appointed to l’Oiseau of 36 guns; and on the 18th May, 1794, sailed from Plymouth for Halifax, in company with a squadron under the orders of Rear-Admiral Murray.

We next find Captain Murray in the Asia, of 64 guns, bearing the flag of Admiral Vandeput, Commander-in-Chief on the coast of America, where he continued until the demise of that officer in 1800, and then returned to England. He was advanced to the rank of Rear-Admiral, April 23, 1804; became a Vice-Admiral Oct. 25, 1809; and in the summer of 1811 was appointed Commander-in-Chief at North Yarmouth, where he continued during the remainder of the war. His promotion to the rank he now holds took place Aug. 12, 1819.

On the 12th Sept. 1821, Admiral Murray presided at a meeting held in the Town-Hall, Liverpool, for the purpose of forming an Institution for the promotion of the religious and moral improvement of Seamen, and other persons connected with shipping; and the establishment of a floating chapel.

Residence.– Liverpool .