Sunday Laws In Force in the Province of Ontario
In Force in the Province of Ontario
1. LABOR. With certain exceptions this includes:
(a) THE WORK OF LABORERS, MECHANICS and MANUFACTURERS.
(b)FARM WORK, such as SEEDING, HARVESTING, FENCING, DITCHING.
(c) WORK ON RAILWAYS, such as BUILDING and CONSTRUCTION, and also REPAIR WORK, except in emergencies, and TRAFFIC, excepting the forwarding of PASSENGER AND CERTAIN FREIGHT TRAINS.
(d) ALL BUILDING, TEAMING, DRIVING FOR BUSINESS PURPOSES, THE WORK OF BAKERS AND BARBERS, Etc.
(e) THE WORK OF MUSICIANS AND PAID PERFORMERS OF ANY KIND. Works of necessity and mercy excepted.
2. BUSINESS. It is unlawful to MAKE CONTRACTS or to BUY, SELL, or DELIVER ANYTHING on Sunday, including LIQUORS, CIGARS, NEWSPAPERS, Etc. Generally speaking the only exceptions are DELIVERING PASSENGERS' BAGGAGE, MILK for domestic use, and SUPPLYING MEALS AND MEDICINES.
3. ALL GAMES, RACES OR OTHER SPORTS FOR MONEY OR PRIZES, or which are noisy, or at which a fee is charges, and the business of AMUSEMENT or ENTERTAINMENT.
4. ALL EXCURSIONS for hire and with the object of pleasure, by TRAIN, STEAMER, or OTHER CONVEYANCE.
5. ADVERTISING in Canada, unlawful things to take place on Sunday, either in Canada or across the line.
6. IMPORTING, SELLING or DISTRIBUTING FOREIGN NEWSPAPERS on Sunday.
7. ALL GAMBLING, TIPPLING, USING PROFANE LANGUAGE, and all other acts which disturb the public quiet.
8. ALL PUBLIC MEETINGS, except in Churches.
9. HUNTING, SHOOTING, FISHING; also BATHING in any public place or in sight of a place of public worship, or private residence.
THE PENALTY IS FROM $1.00 TO $5.00
THE GAME LAW
Of the Province makes Sunday a CLOSE SEASON for all GAME and HUNTING and SHOOTING UNLAWFUL on that day.
THE PENALTY IS FROM $5.00 TO $25.00