The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Albany (district)
ALBANY, an eastern district of Cape Colony, on the coast, traversed by the Sneeuw (snow) mountains and some other ranges, and by the Great Fish river; area, 1,792 sq. m.; pop. in 1865, 16,264, including 4,229 Caffres and 1,472 Hottentots. The surface is undulating, and the scenery varies from rugged heights to pleasant plains. The climate is healthy. The soil produces wheat, maize, barley, oats, and cotton. A chief occupation of the settlers is stock raising. Capital, Graham's Town.