The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Annaberg
ANNABERG, a town of Saxony, in the Erzgebirge, 2,000 feet above sea level, in the district of Zwickau, 19 m. by railway S. of Chemnitz; pop. in 1871, 11,639. The mining, formerly of great importance, has been diverted to other localities, and the government department relating to it was removed in 1856 to Marienberg. Annaberg, however, besides being the seat of various district authorities, continues to be an important centre for the manufacture of lace and fringes, which latter industry was introduced about 1590 by Protestant refugees from Spanish oppression in Flanders. Crinolines are also made here to the extent of over 100,000 dozens annually. The town was founded in 1496.