BOISÉ CITY, the capital of Idaho territory and of Ada county, situated on the N. bank of the Boisé river, about 520 m. N. E. of San Francisco, and 285 m. N. W. of Salt Lake City, in the S. E. part of the county; pop. in 1870, 995. It contains a penitentiary, a U. S. assay office, a national bank, 3 grist mills, and 3 newspapers. It is reached in two days by stage from Indian Creek, Utah, on the Central Pacific railroad. The place was formerly a trading post of the Hudson Bay fur company; it now commands the trade of the miners on the W. slope of the Rocky mountains, and of the surrounding agricultural country.