The American Cyclopædia (1879)/Cheyenne (capital)
CHEYENNE, the capital of Wyoming territory and seat of justice of Laramie county, situated on the Union Pacific railroad, in the S. E. part of the territory, 516 m. by rail W. of Omaha, Neb., and 1,260 m. E. of Sacramento, Cal.; pop. in 1870, 1,450; in 1873, about 2,500. The city is built on a broad open plain, about 6,000 ft. above the sea; Crow creek, an affluent of the South Platte, winds around it on two sides. The land rises slightly toward the west, while toward the east it gradually though imperceptibly declines. The streets are broad, and laid out at right angles with the railroad. The Denver Pacific railroad connects it with Denver, Colorado, 106 m. distant. Fort D. A. Russell is situated 2½ m. N. W. of Cheyenne, and Fort Russell depot about half way between them. The depot is used for storing and distributing the government supplies for Forts Laramie and Fetterman on the North Platte and the Indian agencies N. of the city. About 10,000,000 lbs. of freight are annually sent to those points from the Union Pacific railroad at Cheyenne. The principal public building is the brick court house, with an iron jail and jailer's residence attached, which cost $40,000. The two-story brick public school house cost $12,000, and has an average attendance of 70 scholars. There are about 60 business houses, representing the ordinary branches of trade. The principal manufactures are of saddles and moss agate jewelry, the stone being found in large quantities in the territory. The machine and repair shops of the Union Pacific railroad are extensive. The first national bank of Cheyenne has a capital of $100,000. There are several hotels, a small theatre, two newspapers issuing daily and weekly editions, and Congregational, Episcopal, Methodist, Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic churches.—Cheyenne was settled in the summer of 1867, when the Union Pacific railroad first reached the point. At one period there were 6,000 inhabitants in the place and vicinity, but as the road was extended west the floating population migrated with it. In the fall of 1869 a considerable portion of the business part of the city was burned, involving a loss of $500,000, but it was speedily rebuilt.